Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Series 70 Gold cup question

Not a service 1911 but I figure one of you will know.

Always wanted a 1970s Colt Gold cup. Finally found a nice 1973 example that's been a safe queen for the most part and shot very little. I'd like to shoot it some. I replaced the recoil spring with a known 16 lb new spring. I've read where it is suggested to pull the collet bushing and store it and obviously fit a standard bushing for shooting. I have the other bushing coming. Is there any other parts one might want to replace and store the original parts. Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

I've read that the collets tended to break cause folks tried to take them off every time they cleaned, vs just leaving them on the barrel ,

and read that the break when you stare at them hard,

not sure which to believe (likely somewhere in the middle!)

only thing I would replace other than what you did, is the grips, depending on how good they look,
    Last edited by lyman; 09-26-2017 at 01:13.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I've read that the collets tended to break cause folks tried to take them off every time they cleaned, vs just leaving them on the barrel ,

and read that the break when you stare at them hard,

not sure which to believe (likely somewhere in the middle!)

only thing I would replace other than what you did, is the grips, depending on how good they look,
    The entire pistol looks almost brand new as do the grips. That's a good suggestion since I have some beaters I can put on just to shoot it a little. Thanks much.

leftyo Guest

collets break because of how they are machined. those that were made properly will last virtually forever, those that werent will break sooner or later. personally id fit a solid bushing and store the collet if your concerned with collectability.

It has been a long time since I've had Gold Cup National Match Series 70 Colts. I bought a couple back in the 70s and remember the recoil spring on a new one was shorter than a government model 16 pound spring. Even called Colt and they said the Gold Cup used a shorter spring and it was the correct spring for the pistol.

If you decide not to use the collet bushing your accuracy will suffer unless you have a match grade bushing installed.

One thing I did with the rear sight was put a small square rubber shim under the rear sight. It doesn't show when installed. I think they were made by Wilson. Just tun the elevation adjustment out until the sight comes out and slide the shim on the screw and turn it back on the slide. Also swapped the roll pin holding the rear sight on with a solid pin.

A big thing not to do is remove the sear. It has a little part and spring which are a real bitch to get back together. Best to have some spare parts in case those little buggers get lost.
    I might have one of the rubber shock reducers in my parts. If I can find it your welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    collets break because of how they are machined. those that were made properly will last virtually forever, those that werent will break sooner or later. personally id fit a solid bushing and store the collet if your concerned with collectability.
    Yes sir that's the plan. I ordered a EGW to fit but my friend is convince I should wait for and buy a Colt National Match off EBAY. Since it's not original to the gun not sure I get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It has been a long time since I've had Gold Cup National Match Series 70 Colts. I bought a couple back in the 70s and remember the recoil spring on a new one was shorter than a government model 16 pound spring. Even called Colt and they said the Gold Cup used a shorter spring and it was the correct spring for the pistol.

If you decide not to use the collet bushing your accuracy will suffer unless you have a match grade bushing installed.

One thing I did with the rear sight was put a small square rubber shim under the rear sight. It doesn't show when installed. I think they were made by Wilson. Just tun the elevation adjustment out until the sight comes out and slide the shim on the screw and turn it back on the slide. Also swapped the roll pin holding the rear sight on with a solid pin.

A big thing not to do is remove the sear. It has a little part and spring which are a real bitch to get back together. Best to have some spare parts in case those little buggers get lost.
    I might have one of the rubber shock reducers in my parts. If I can find it your welcome to it.
    Thanks for the advise. This is my first, so I'm still learning. The roll pin fix makes sense as that part breaking or coming out seems to be a common complaint. Is the rubbershim to help with the single roll pin issue also.

IMG_3901.jpgIMG_3902.jpg Here is a couple pics. 1973 model

It absorbs the shock of the slide coming back and transferring to the rear sight. Just a little thing but I think it's a good idea. Also, keep an eye on the front sight those came loose. If it does loosen up clean up the slot with degreaser and glue with red locktite.

Just noticed your pistol was made in 1973 those had very good quality control.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-29-2017 at 12:12.

"...pull the collet bushing..." Been using one for 35-40 years with no fuss.
    "...collets break because of how they are machined..." They're odd shaped springs. They break because they're abused just like any spring.
    Any Series 70 becomes a Gold Cup with a trigger job, a match barrel and good sights. Sights like your's.
    Spelling and grammar count!