Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One of the principals (if not the owner) of National Ordnance was the late Bob Hill, one of the premier Springfield collectors/authorities of the "trapdoor" period. Al Frasca's first book (co-authored with Bob) was largely based on the latter's collection and expertise. Nice guy, one of my mentors in the 1970s-80s - he should have known better.

National Ordnance made 03-A3's, M1's, M1 Carbines and Armalite knockoffs. One of the most comprehensive sources of information on the company and its principals can be found at the following link http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html

(the 03-A3's are discussed on the third page about halfway down)

Properly done an investment cast receiver is not necessarily a bad thing. Most Ruger firearms use investment cast receivers.

Personally I would avoid firing Ball ammunition in an 03-A3 made by National Ord, Santa Fe, or Golden State.

regards.

Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 09-26-2017 at 08:25.

Thank you for the clarification. Apparently I was misinformed - my info did not come from Bob directly (we only talked trapdoors!!) rather from a source - who occasionally still contributes to Jouster - who knew Bob fairly well in SoCal prior to Bob's move to Carson City NV (where he passed away circa 1997/8). I really miss our discussions, he had amassed a truly world-class Springfield collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    The receivers are cast, not forged, making them weak.
    I guess product liability issues in the 1960s were not what they are today. Some of their home brewed barrels and receivers were both rupturing and the rifles were never recalled.

'Nail Ord' is somebody who can't type. National Ordnance were professional Bubba's like Gibbs et al. Took '03A3 receivers and made 'em into 'A4's.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    'Nail Ord' is somebody who can't type. National Ordnance were professional Bubba's like Gibbs et al. Took '03A3 receivers and made 'em into 'A4's.
    I took a good look at the receiver and the top of the "T" was missing and that's what I meant by a poorly struck logo that appeared to be "Nail" instead of "Natl," I saw a photo of another receiver on a different forum and it also had a missing T top and another photo of a ruptured cast receiver. You have to wonder why they thought their receivers would contain the powder charge of a .30-06.

I am STILL looking for the source of the 1903 that I observed many, many years ago, which had an early receiver marked "Rock Island Arcenal" in serifed typeface. No, I am NOT making this up - was at a show, and I called it to the attention of several people. FWIW, it was a very clear, full, "C", not the top half of an "S", or any other type of die-break anomaly.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    The receivers are cast, not forged, making them weak.
    I was at a gun show in Mesquite, Texas when I noticed a man trying to sell an 03 Remington, the dealer refused to talk to the seller because the barrel was stamped Santa Fe. I purchased the rifle for $125.00, the seller threw in 2 boxes of 30/06 R-P ammo he purchases with the rifle from Sears. The rifle had a Remington receiver and Remington barrel with a hunting type stock. I took the rifle to the range and found it to be one of the most accurate rifles I have without a scope. I intended to use the receiver on an A4 barrel I have that is chambered for 308 Norma Mag. Because of the accuracy I applied the 'leaver policy', I lefter the way I founder.

At the same show a dealer had a rifle he was going to sell for $200.00, that was before experts convinced him it was a US Presentation type rifle. When I finally got back to where he was located he had decided not to sell the rifle. He did allow me to see the Mauser, it was a National Ordinance. I told him it was a little late in the day to try to sell it but he could start over the next day.

F. Guffey