Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1903-A3 by Nail Ord?

I went to a gun show today just to look around and saw a pair of nice looking 1944 M1903-A3s for sale. One was a Smith-Corona that had mostly Remington external parts and the other was made by "Nail Ord." that looked all correct and was the nicer of the two. I googled Nail Ord. and found nothing. Anyone familiar with this company?

Update- National Ordnance (Natl Ord) is the company. The receiver stamping was poorly struck. I found it on another forum that also incorrectly identified the OEM as "Nail Ord" because the stamping on the receiver of the rifle they were looking at was also poorly struck. NOW I can do some digging.

Update 2 - This company made 03-A3s from milsurp parts in the 1960s for the civilian market and were never issued for military service. No wonder I never heard of them.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-24-2017 at 01:21.

I sold my National ordnance as soon as i read up on it. See this thread: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16494

3. Default

Chuckindenver, via this forum, saved me from getting one of those. That and my own research indicates they are ticking time bombs. If you found one for 100.00 with the intent of replacing the receiver it might be a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminvirginia View Post
    Chuckindenver, via this forum, saved me from getting one of those. That and my own research indicates they are ticking time bombs. If you found one for 100.00 with the intent of replacing the receiver it might be a good deal.
    This guy wanted $675.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    This guy wanted $675.
    Just looked at one today. Guy said he had a nice 03A3 he couldn't get $500.00 out of. I asked to see it...ah now I know why...He's going to sell the parts and keep the receiver as a paper weight. The stock was cracked to by the way. All parts but barrel band and nose cap were R marked (parts I could see).

The one I saw was all blued and had a RA 1944 stamped barrel. I didn't see any stampings on the bolt. The butt plate was uncheckered. The sling and stacking swivels were unmarked. The stock and hand guard were in like new condition but no cartouche or proof marks. The rifle did appear to be in great condition. I could see someone buying it as a parts kit for a few hundred dollars and scrapping the receiver.

Have owned and shot two. Bought one for $100, the other for $200. Shot the hound out of the first one. It has been shot w/ corrosive ammo and poorly cleaned. Replaced the barrel and shot it several more years. Stunningly accurate rifle especially with 130 gr. JHP's handloaded hot. Sold it for $300. Far as I know ... it kept shooting just fine. Second one only kept it a couple of years. Shot very well especially with handloads. Sold it b/c I got a good offer. Haven't seen a nice one in a number of years. If found another one at a good price, would buy it, but would not likely shoot it. Plenty of good receivers around. Would strip off the parts, build a receiver. Would take the N.O. receiver and use it for a .22 type rifle using a M-2 bolt, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Have owned and shot two. Bought one for $100, the other for $200. Shot the hound out of the first one. It has been shot w/ corrosive ammo and poorly cleaned. Replaced the barrel and shot it several more years. Stunningly accurate rifle especially with 130 gr. JHP's handloaded hot. Sold it for $300. Far as I know ... it kept shooting just fine. Second one only kept it a couple of years. Shot very well especially with handloads. Sold it b/c I got a good offer. Haven't seen a nice one in a number of years. If found another one at a good price, would buy it, but would not likely shoot it. Plenty of good receivers around. Would strip off the parts, build a receiver. Would take the N.O. receiver and use it for a .22 type rifle using a M-2 bolt, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    For $100 or $300, it would probably make sense to buy this rifle if you were planning to replace the receiver and make it a true 03-A3. $675 is a little steep since an original 03-A3 in good condition sells for $700 - $800 around here.

The receivers are cast, not forged, making them weak.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The one I saw was all blued and had a RA 1944 stamped barrel. I didn't see any stampings on the bolt. The butt plate was uncheckered. The sling and stacking swivels were unmarked. The stock and hand guard were in like new condition but no cartouche or proof marks. The rifle did appear to be in great condition. I could see someone buying it as a parts kit for a few hundred dollars and scrapping the receiver.
    The stock on this one was unmarked and too thick so I think it was an aftermarket of some kind and it was cracked. The barrel was also a 1944 Remington. The butt plate was cast junk. The barrel band wasunmarked and very thin. All the bolt was R marked. The rifle was dark blued. Some good parts, but a lot of National Ord. Junk to.