Thread: Moved the post

Default Moved the post

I feel that it is more appropriate to move the Wolfs Lair post to here as I am completing my reloading shed. Putting on the casting addition now which will just about double the initial area. I am running a 60 lb propane fired pot with 6 gang molds. The sizing will be done in the same area, as well as storage of completed projectiles. Looking at passive and forced air vents now to expel gases...safety first. I will be using 20 lb. tanks to run the burner and in good weather can move the operation outside under my tree. Any suggestions?
    Sam

"...safety first..." Yep. Shot with a guy years ago who had to quit shooting altogether for 6 months because he got lead poisoning. Between his job(power company engineer. Dunno exactly what he did.) and casting in an unventilated garage.
    I think a 20" fan blowing out a window might do. Local ordinances might disallow that though. So will winter. Maybe a stove exhaust fan.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I am looking @ a powered vent to get rid of the fumes. Also close by will be a large fire extinguisher as well.
    Sam

You may want to consider a welding smoke extractor and I do not think that a half mask respirator with P100 filters would hurt.

http://weldsmokecollection.com/?sour...collection.com

HTH

KTK

I use to shoot at a 25 yard indoor range and thought the vent fan was to clear gunsmoke from the area. Now I know better!

My wife came up with a brilliant idea for my casting area. A powered exhaust will take a good bit of power to run an I am limited as to the amount <1,600 watts incoming. I also told her that I was going to cast outside in good weather. She suggested that since the new addition is to the front of the shed and will have a wall there, why not just build a frame and tarp the area with the top slightly open. I can use skids for the floor [free] and I already have 4x4 posts installed for the fence that I am building next to the shed. All I have to do is build a lento roof, attach the tarp to the posts and I am in business. It is under a pine tree so I have plenty of shade to keep the area cool and in good weather take down or roll up the tarp. I am using 20lb tanks to power the melter so it will generate a good deal of heat from the burner. If I can get my daughter to shoot some picture I will show what I am doing.
    Sam

Sounds like you already have a plan but I use a big box fan at the window next to where I am casting. I get lead tested every year because of my range time. So far I have never showed any lead level at all. I do not cast near as much as you are planning to though. Probably 3 to 4000 projectiles at a maximum. Good luck sounds like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Sounds like you already have a plan but I use a big box fan at the window next to where I am casting. I get lead tested every year because of my range time. So far I have never showed any lead level at all. I do not cast near as much as you are planning to though. Probably 3 to 4000 projectiles at a maximum. Good luck sounds like a fun project.
    For at least the next year everything and I mean everything about me will be checked. With 6 gang molds it doesn't take long to empty a 60 lb pot and I plan on doing 6-10 pots per week.
    Sam

Good luck with the project. While we're talking safety, the sticky "Melted Lead WARNING" at the top of this page is a good reminder of some dangerous situations that can arise when working with melted lead. Keeping the lead fumes away from you with a fan, even when working outside, sounds like a good idea as well.

Finally got the foundation and floor done. Final dimensions are 12' long and 13.8' wide. Will have to do a little tweaking in one corner to bring up to center bubble, off just a hair. Have the floor painted and looks pretty good, for final application will lay plywood over that for any floor that I want to do. I can say one thing, it is a stout floor @ 2" thick set on 4x6x12. Since the deal with the wife was no money from the house, will need to wait on my Uncle Sugar check at the end of the month to buy the rest of the wood. I have already 8 2x6x16 for the roof standing by along with metal sheathing for the roof. Just need to pick up some tire paper for the roof, have plenty of nails and screws. Have 4 windows to go in, did some thinking on the doors. Rather then buy/build, I am just going to take off the doors on the building and use them. This will save me time and money! Stove will be the Hunter Model from Cylinder Stove as I have used their large model for several years, fantastic wood stoves.
    Sam