Default How much is the feed?

Growing up my Dad taught me a lot of things to remember while going thru life, "How much is the feed?" Simply what is the cost of operation and all viable options. I will need to heat the building + the addition for the casting area. I will be heating about 384 square feet with either propane or wood, electricity is out of the question. I have decided to go with wood over propane due to the heating cost. The propane heater is cheap to buy and the initial cost of a 250 gallon tank is $.99 with the refill cost of propane @$2.19 per gallon. This comes out to $226.00 per month as I want to keep the building heated. With my neuropathy of the feet I have to be careful, even with insulated boots. I do not plan to wear the boots in the building as I have foamed slippers to combat my neuropathy as I will be standing some while reloading/casting. The wood stove/pipe will cost about $500 but operate much cheaper. I have several cords of hard wood coming in at $160 per full cord. Any junk mail can also go into the firebox as it does in our other wood stove. Open to any suggestions and yes, we have been burning wood going on our 8th season in this location. Have already cleaned the stove pipe and tomorrow will do any needed maintance on the stove itself.
    Sam

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Sounds like you're on top of it Sam. As long as you can get wood cheap enough or even free, you'll be in good shape. Just remember to keep the area well ventilated if you are casting lead. Probably all things that you are well aware of....

3. Default

You can also look for someone that does tree trimming and cutting. I get mine from one that does not want to have to dispose of it. Nice wood and free.

Too bad you're not in Florida. Amazing amount of free fire wood now!
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

Wow, I don't know where you buy your propane but maybe you need to shop around. I own my 500 gallon tank and usually buy propane once or if it is really cold 2X in a year. I usually use around 350 gallons per year. Last year the winter was mild and I only burned around 250 gallons. My house is 1300 sq. ft. I heat the house, cook with propane, and the clothes dryer is propane. A week ago I bought 250 gallons... at $1.50/gallon or $375. That should last me through the winter... Or about $32/month. NOT any where close to your figure of $226/month.

I also have the option of burning wood... that is a SHTF option. I have available 100+ cords of seasoned firewood that I can't give away. It is hardwood, hickory, oak, and osage orange (best firewood ever) that was bulldozed down a year ago.

It is still cheaper for me to use propane...

Here is where I buy propane: https://maps.apple.com/place?address...0Propane%20Inc
    Last edited by RED; 09-26-2017 at 03:54.

In my AO this is the cheapest here.
    Sam

"... per full cord..." Be sure it is a full cord. Lotta places call a face cord a full cord. A full cord is 8' x 8' x 4'.
    $2.17 is cheap according to these guys. https://ycharts.com/indicators/ohio_..._propane_price
    Spelling and grammar count!

$226 for a month's use equals 100 gallons at your prices.. You could turn your heat up to 100 degrees for 30 days and never use that much propane...

You need to refigure this.

r full cord..." Be sure it is a full cord. Lotta places call a face cord a full cord. A full cord is 8' x 8' x 4'.
    $2.17 is cheap according to these guys. https://ycharts.com/indicators/ohio_..._propane_price
    So you want to buy a full face cord of fire wood.... I will sell you a 80' X 80' X 40' mega cord of seasoned firewood for $.99.

All you need to get it is come, and pick it up....

In fact , I will sweeten the deal... I will PAY YOU the $.99!
    Last edited by RED; 09-28-2017 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    A full cord is 8' x 8' x 4'.
    Wow! In my area a cord is 8' x 4' x 4'. Maybe Canadians use "metric cords"?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997