Had a 30-06 and couple 308's out today trying out some ammo , had fired about 30 rounds or so and thought about my 45/70 . Figured this was a good time to try holding the gun instead of resting it solely in the bag . Looked around and found a box of HSM 430 gr +P . This had shot poorly previously , but thought I would give it another spin . Adjusted the front bag so I could get my hand on the fore end and put the back of my hand on the bag . Slid a bullet in it and squeezed it off . LMAO , it was an eye opener after shooting the 06 and 308 . But , I did learn that it likes being held , it jumps too much just setting in the bags . Got some 1.5" three shot groups with the 430 gr +p and 350 gr +P . Also got a three shot group less than an inch with the Hornady 325 gr flex tip .
I think the heavy bullets would have grouped better also because the two fliers I had happened when I didn't stay focused on my hold . One thing about the 45/70 , if you don't stay focused on the hold you will likely know it .
Hope to get a shot a big bear this year , but if not , I'll try a brisket shot on a deer and see if it punches through .
Yeah , hunting season is around the corner can't you tell , LOL .
Kenneth