Blog Entries

Default Delving into the arcane....

I have never tried to characterize my M1 before; just shot it. Now, I would like to check it out. Is there an internet source that will tell me which parts are marked and where and by which mfgr? How do I tell if the buttplate screws are long or short? Windage knob is marked 8ME, elevation is WC5. Bullet guide could be either S 98 or S 86.

Will someone teach me to speak 'M1'?

USRIFLECAL30M1.com

Has all the information you need. Enter serial # and maker.

It is a deep, dark hole that you are crawling into. Do you have a family history of OCD? Regards, Clark

"...which parts are marked..." First rule is that M1 part numbers have nothing to do with serial numbers. They're drawing numbers.
    If anybody tells you a rifle is 'all correct', it was made that way by somebody with too much time and money. Weapons Techs did not and do not care who made what part.
    "...butt plate screws are long or short..." They'll stick out if too long. Won't hold tight if too short.
    Free .pdf manuals are here. Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
    Buy a copy of Hatcher's Notebook and Hatcher's Book of the Garand, about $30 each at your local gun shop or Amazon, too
    Spelling and grammar count!

There are several good books giving the serial number ranges that parts were changed at. Early on virtually every part had a drawing number, but as the U.S. got closer to WWII most of the part numbers were eliminated from the parts.

The butt plate screw shown is the long screw which also held the lower swivel in the stock.

6. Default

Thanks much for the picture Johnny. Never realized the early long screw had a imprinted drawing number.

8BE is BME(Bruce Machine). WC5 is WCE(Wico Electric).
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

Thanks Dryheat, maybe we'll meet at BASF this winter......

I have no connection with BASF but I'll be at Ben Avery(western games) on Friday.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.