Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 years old

Yeah, a long shot like that will be affected a lot by the wind. The range I belong to has target set-ups only at 100 and 200 yards. I mostly shoot at the 100 yard target where the wind is less of a factor. The wind drift is much more noticeable at 200 yards. I enjoy impressing fellow shooters who are using a scope on a modern rifle by shooting tight groups with a 99 year old M1917 with open sights. I've been reloading Hornady 150 gr FMJBT with 48 gr of Hodgdon BL-C (2) in .30-06 for the Winchester M1917 and the Remington 03-A3.

Actually it will be interesting to see how my eyes hold out. The peep sights on the 1917, Garand, and No 4s are still easy for me to see. The Notch type on my No1s and 1903s have started to become a challenge at longer ranges. Painting my front sights Gold helped. Oh the joy of getting old....I have another property we shoot longer ranges at. Anything past 800 gets to be a challenge for me personally. My shooting partner who is 27 beats the heck out of a 24 inch gong at 1000 yards with a nice IHC Garand. The time from shot to the return of the ping is the fun part for me. I also find it fun to take younger folks out and shoot at long range with old dinosaurs and make hits.

Long distance shooting ranges don't exist around here due to the hilly terrain. We have to settle for what's available. Usually 200 yards is the max at our local gun clubs. It would be interesting to see how well my open sights (and eyes) would do at 800, 1000 or 3000 yards. The target would have to be about the size of a school bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Long distance shooting ranges don't exist around here due to the hilly terrain. We have to settle for what's available. Usually 200 yards is the max at our local gun clubs. It would be interesting to see how well my open sights (and eyes) would do at 800, 1000 or 3000 yards. The target would have to be about the size of a school bus.
    The benefit of living in Kansas but it has its downs to....weather changes all the time, wind 0 one day 30 mph the next day. Not as much to do...the ocean is a long way away etc etc.

The wife and I drove to Phoenix, AZ in April and saw the effects of the wind, especially in Texas. Amarillo has to be the wind capital of the US. We saw wind generators all along I 40 and several trucks that were blown over and laying on their sides. I'd like to see how much windage adjustment would be required to hit an 800 yard target in that wind.

The nice thing about reloading is the chance to experiment. I tried a variety of bullets in my M1917 and 03-A3 and the original military style 150 gr full metal jackets seem to work the best. I tried both flat based and boat tails and I seem to shoot more accurately with boat tails. The 1944 Enfield No. 4 Mk1* does better with the 150 gr full metal jacket flat based bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The wife and I drove to Phoenix, AZ in April and saw the effects of the wind, especially in Texas. Amarillo has to be the wind capital of the US. We saw wind generators all along I 40 and several trucks that were blown over and laying on their sides. I'd like to see how much windage adjustment would be required to hit an 800 yard target in that wind.

The nice thing about reloading is the chance to experiment. I tried a variety of bullets in my M1917 and 03-A3 and the original military style 150 gr full metal jackets seem to work the best. I tried both flat based and boat tails and I seem to shoot more accurately with boat tails. The 1944 Enfield No. 4 Mk1* does better with the 150 gr full metal jacket flat based bullets.
    Very true on reloading. I live close enough to Sierra to drive over and get their seconds. Most are close in weight but the ogive length is all over the place. I separate them by ogive length and use the longer ones in my 1917 and 03A3. The short ogive bullets go in the FN FAL. This is on the 168 grain SMKs. The longer the ogive equates to a longer bearing surface. My bolt guns love that. The FN does not seem to care, but is also not as accurate. I also buy the FB 150 grain seconds but they all go to the FN. I do the same thing with the 303 buying their 174 HPBT's. They work well in the No 4's and in one No 1 that has a really good bore. The older or more worn No 1's do not like the HPBT's. I have found all but one shoot the 180 grain FB seconds just fine. The No 1 that will not shoot the 180's won't shoot anything well. The bore is pitted. I have been going to try cast but keep running out of time. If you've ever been to Sierra its kind of neat to walk in and buy bullets by the pound and watch them dip them out of 30 gallon cans, only to be fed one at a time to 100 year old work horses.

7. Default

I have Remington s/n 9441. I believe it spent some time in Canada. Bought as surplus from gun store in the late '80s.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    I have Remington s/n 9441. I believe it spent some time in Canada. Bought as surplus from gun store in the late '80s.
    Fred my 1917 is Canadian marked to. Most of the red paint has worn or probably been cleaned off the nose. There is some red paint residue but one has to look for it. The stock and receiver have the C/broad arrow mark. WWII lend lease that came back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    Nice pick! Really early serial number. It was made in November, 1917.

My Winchester Model of 1917 US Army rifle turned 100 years old today, November 15, 2017. I celebrated by taking it to the range and firing off a few rounds. The old war horse performed well, as usual. There were a few hunters at the range zeroing their modern rifles and they all had to handle and admire my '17.