Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 years old

Default 100 years old

My early and excellent shooting M1917 Winchester (Serial Number 65030) will be 100 years old in a couple months (November 15, 2017). I find it interesting that the technology that was incorporated in this weapon is still being used unchanged today to manufacture modern rifles. I would like to hear about any other M1917 with a low serial number (Winchester, Eddystone or Remington). The first day of manufacture for the Winchester M1917 was May, 21, 1917 when 45 were assembled.

My Eddystone is a later 1918 rifle. One of my favorites to shoot and built like a tank. I do wish the sights had the ability to dial windage.

I don't miss the windage adjustment so much since my 17 is zeroed at 100 yards with the sight leaf at its lowest possible position without any compensation. I just aim directly at the target. My Enfield No. 4 Mk 1* has a similar fixed windage sight. The British obviously didn't see the need for a windage adjustment even though the sight that was developed for the M1903 would have worked on the M1917.

What a timely message, Merc! Until you brought this up, it hadn't occurred to me that our 1917 will pass the century mark sometime in January. It's a very nice "circled star" Winchester that, in the past, was a favorite for both my wife and me. Over the last few years we've been shooting mostly trap, but January might be a good time to bring the old "Enfield" out for a little 100th birthday party.

Now that I think about it, we have a Garand and a couple of 1903A3s that will turn 75 next year. Something to look forward to. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 09-22-2017 at 03:39.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I have C.S. Ferris' "United States Rifle Model of 1917" publication that has Winchester's manufacturing table of date vs. serial number. I'm glad to provide the W manufacturing date to anyone. Just need your serial number.

Ferris' publication also provided Remington and Eddystone tables of receivers vs. observed original barrel dates for a wide range of serial numbers. Although not as precise as the Winchester table, these tables can get you close to the month and year of manufacture. Apparently, R and E manufacturing records were not available to Ferris when he published his book.

Nonetheless, it's a great book for the M1917 collector and should be available on Amazon.com.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-23-2017 at 08:19.

I have Win 78793. Definitely not "original" as it's been re-barreled. Unfortunately, the original barrel was a VFW sewer pipe. Rounds were key-holing the target at 25 yards, thanks to years of firing salutes with ammo with corrosive primers.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    I have Win 78793. Definitely not "original" as it's been re-barreled. Unfortunately, the original barrel was a VFW sewer pipe. Rounds were key-holing the target at 25 yards, thanks to years of firing salutes with ammo with corrosive primers.
    Winchester 78793 - November 27, 1917. Star circle stamped receiver? Who made the replacement barrel? It shouldn't matter if it has a replacement barrel as long as it shoots well. The 17 was built to last but not if abused and neglected.

I mentioned on an earlier thread that I saw a near mint VFW Eddystone for sale at a gun show with a bore so clogged with residue from firing blanks that it would just barely pass the light from a bore light. The asking price was $1200.

Star circle stamped receiver? Who made the replacement barrel?

Yep, star/circle on left side of receiver. Barrel was a replacement from CMP. Had I given it more thought (and had a few extra bucks), there's an outfit in Texas that will drill out the original barrel and re-sleeve it, leaving it looking like it still has the original barrel. Live and learn.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Enjoy it for what it is. Think of it this way - you saved the rifle from being sold for parts. Besides, a fresh barrel with crisp rifling and unworn muzzle/throat should group nicely at the range. I would have done the same thing. There were quite a few 17s that were given new barrels for WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I don't miss the windage adjustment so much since my 17 is zeroed at 100 yards with the sight leaf at its lowest possible position without any compensation. I just aim directly at the target. My Enfield No. 4 Mk 1* has a similar fixed windage sight. The British obviously didn't see the need for a windage adjustment even though the sight that was developed for the M1903 would have worked on the M1917.
    My range has steel to 700 yards. On a windy day I miss windage. Of course several of my milsurps have no provision for wind. This rifle really like 168 SMKs over 46 grains of Varget.