Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

First off, let me say I never got to serve in Viet Nam. That being said, I have a 21 year career, 12 of which were in Special Ops before there was a recognized title of Special Ops. The best history of Viet Nam I have ever found was written by Stanley Karnow in 1983. Six hundred and seventy pages of insight into Viet Nam. Rise of Ho Chi Minh and Giap, thru the ins and outs of the French and American political struggles and the real day to day struggles of the soldiers on both sides. All this without being filtered thru the eye of Hollywood.

Discussion with my friends that did serve tends to validate this story. Not as intense as "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young", but if you like military history, it's a good read.

You want to know what Viet Nam was like?

It's like seeing your bones sticking through your skin. It's like tasting and smelling your own blood. It's like looking into the faces of your dead, so you can check the block that says "Positive Identification," and knowing you could have done better and they'd still be alive. It's like learning about some nasty little xxxxs who thought it was funny to tell your pregnant wife they hoped you'd be killed.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

It's like learning about some nasty little xxxxs who thought it was funny to tell your pregnant wife they hoped you'd be killed.
    I had a high school buddy tell me to my face at a new years eve party in 1970 that it was too bad I didn't get killed.
    I was in the state of shock when he said that to me. I didn't respond to him saying that at all as I was in so much disbelief that I even heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    I had a high school buddy tell me to my face at a new years eve party in 1970 that it was too bad I didn't get killed.
    I was in the state of shock when he said that to me. I didn't respond to him saying that at all as I was in so much disbelief that I even heard that.
    I commend you on your restraint, I would have had none. I would have spit in his eye and invited him outside.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    In ancient times, there was a monument at Thermopylae, where the 300 Spartans died. The inscription read, "Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their law."

Let that be our motto, "Go tell the Spartans."

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    In ancient times, there was a monument at Thermopylae, where the 300 Spartans died. The inscription read, "Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their law."

Let that be our motto, "Go tell the Spartans."
    When that monument was erected, the natural presumption was that the Spartans, every single one, CARED about their sacrifice. Here & now, many still do, but the feeling is far from universal; ask the nearest Love Trumps Hate protestor.

(By the way, who told the Plateans? A thousand from the small city of Platea refused to retreat with the other Greeks, and died side by side with the Spartans.)

Blog Entries

No, Vern, I didn,t say i wanted to know what it wa like in VN. I meant to reply to the comments about the Burns series on PBS about VN and the Hollywood "version" version of the war.

I had been reading the first hand accounts of my Combat Controllers at Kham Duc, Katum, and Khe Sanh. They were unfiltered, and not cleaned up. While I may not have had the combat veteran experience I knew and lived with those that did. Today, if asked when they were in VN, many would say "last night".

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    When that monument was erected, the natural presumption was that the Spartans, every single one, CARED about their sacrifice. Here & now, many still do, but the feeling is far from universal; ask the nearest Love Trumps Hate protestor.

(By the way, who told the Plateans? A thousand from the small city of Platea refused to retreat with the other Greeks, and died side by side with the Spartans.)
    I believe the Plateans died at the Battle of Platea the next year.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I believe the Plateans died at the Battle of Platea the next year.
    You're right--it was contingents from the cities of Thesbia & Thebes who stayed with the Spartans. Nevertheless, the smaller number of Spartans got all the glory; pretty much the way the world usually operates.

Wiki: "Many of the Greek contingents then either chose to withdraw (without orders) or were ordered to leave by Leonidas (Herodotus admits that there is some doubt about which actually happened).[95][97] The contingent of 700 Thespians, led by their general Demophilus, refused to leave and committed themselves to the fight.[98] Also present were the 400 Thebans and probably the helots who had accompanied the Spartans.[94]

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    You're right--it was contingents from the cities of Thesbia & Thebes who stayed with the Spartans. Nevertheless, the smaller number of Spartans got all the glory; pretty much the way the world usually operates.

Wiki: "Many of the Greek contingents then either chose to withdraw (without orders) or were ordered to leave by Leonidas (Herodotus admits that there is some doubt about which actually happened).[95][97] The contingent of 700 Thespians, led by their general Demophilus, refused to leave and committed themselves to the fight.[98] Also present were the 400 Thebans and probably the helots who had accompanied the Spartans.[94]
    And as a wise man once said, "What is important about the Alamo, Massada and Thermopylae is the story, not the reality."