Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Problem

Default Small Problem

I'm having an issue with my 1903A3 that has me scratching my head.

I shoot every month in CMP Matches, and I've had this happen three times now. The problem is a strange one. I don't think it has anything to do with the stripper clip though. When I thumb the rounds in, the second round seems to move forward slightly and the nose catches on the ramp cocking the cartridge. This prevents the remaining three rounds from fully seating in the magazine well since they too are cocked at an angle. I have to use something... usually another bullet, to force the round to the rear before I can get the cartridges fully into the magazine. This time (last Saturday), it cost me two saved rounds. The OAL is within spec with about 1/16 clearance at the front of the magazine/ramp. I've done it three times now, always during the rapid reload - my initial charge at the start of the rapid goes in like butter every time.

My loads are a Nosler 168 gr HPBT Match Custom Competition bullet with 44.0 grains of H-4895 and a CCI #34 primer and I'm using HXP brass. It's a "Tack Driver" with this load and I use the same round in my Garand (using Lake City brass). The rifle is a Remington 1903A3.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm thinking of switching to the Hornady 168 gr A-Max bullet. Any thoughts on this, or should I stay with the Nosler?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 09-18-2017 at 04:34.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Things to try -
    • Different clip types
    • Tweak magazine spring
    • Different follower/spring
    • Seat bullets deeper
    • Elevate muzzle while charging
    • Polish feed ramp/lips

Blog Entries

I've had this phenomenon!!!

The case ejector (triangle piece, aft left) is interrupting the smooth feed of all 5 rounds from the stripper clip. At times I ensure it is not sticking out during my rapid reload by quickly running my finger to ensure it's lying flat. See if it sticks out for you during the reloads.

Send me the rifle so i can look it over and analyze the problem, it very likely the humid Michigan weather that is causing the issue!

"...second round seems to move forward..." Before or after it comes out of the clip? Sounds like the wee flat spring in the clip to me. Might just be a bit of crud behind the spring though. Try cleaning your clips.
    You don't need magnum primers for H4895.
    The A-Maxes are few bucks less expensive than No$lers. And more readily available. Six of this half dozen of the other really.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...second round seems to move forward..." Before or after it comes out of the clip? Sounds like the wee flat spring in the clip to me. Might just be a bit of crud behind the spring though. Try cleaning your clips.
    You don't need magnum primers for H4895.
    The A-Maxes are few bucks less expensive than No$lers. And more readily available. Six of this half dozen of the other really.
    It's definitely after it comes out of the clip.

I started using the #34s because I use the same load in my Garand, and they are mil-spec with a slightly thicker cup... so I don't worry about sensitivity. Besides, accuracy-wise, I like how they're shooting in the 03A3.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I would install a new follower spring.

Dear psteinmayer:

Are you re-using your cartridge clips year after year? It might be that they're totally worn out. Secondly, have you looked at the cartridge clip guide lips on the receiver After 70+ years they might be worn enough so that the clip isn't totally verticle against the back of the guide, and the bullet tips are pointing down a bit and when you press the cartridges down with your thumb they move forward and hit the lip of the ramp. Or you're not making sure the cartridge clip is hard against the rear of the guide. Try using a new cartridge clip and the old one with 5 dummy rounds Either the old GI ones or special made up ones from brass you discarded from reloading (with the primer cup drilled out, so you don't confuse them with live rounds) The GI ones weren't designed for multiple uses and were made with cheap metal. Creedmore sells some good ones. If neither of these tests fix the problem, like other people said check the edjector wedge, it may be worn out or bent or just dirty. Or the mag follower or mag spring are worn out.

R. Brown

First NRA HP match was at Camp Sherman , Ohio, in 1973 borrowed my uncles' 17 Enfield.

Walkwd down the line to firing point and a senior shooter asked to hanlde the rifle. he informed that I was to draw my thumb across the topp round and then squeeze as I was laoding, the rolling started all round on the charger and feed nicely into the magazine.
    To force straight down to longer and extra effort.
    Hope this helps.

You might also move the position of your thumb slightly farther forward.