Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amatur Radio

Default Amatur Radio

Half a century ago I got involved in CB with a buddy of mine and subsequently ham radio. I tried to learn Morse code in scouting, but could not as apparently my mind does not work that way...when it does work. As a boy growing up I had a neighbor who was into ham radio and was a radioman on a DD in the Pacific. He became a ham in the mid 30's and said in the Navy school some guys just couldn't master the code as they didn't have an ear for it. I gave up on it and just recently learned that the code is no longer a required part. Last week I read over some of the questions and was amazed at how simple though it was. I learned more complex theory and application in college. Our daughter overheard my conversation with my bride that I wanted to become an operator, so on Amazon she ordered the Tech book which arrived yesterday. Wish me luck guys that I can get both of my brain cells to cooperate.
    Sam

Using the two below resources, I easily passed the Technician, General, and Extra FCC exams in about a 4 month period a few years ago.

https://www.qrz.com/

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

I also highly recommend the Gordon West study guides.
    Last edited by Oyaji; 09-15-2017 at 05:36.

You can see the Amateur Question Pool at:

https://hamexam.org/

The tests are not that hard and you may take the next level test as soon as pass the test. A review of the database and a few practice test may be all the studying you need if you have an electrical background. You can move from no license to Technician, General and Extra at one time if you have studied. I recommend that you that you receive at least the General license because that opens most of the bands to you. Extra adds a few frequencies.

An additional benefit of passing several test at one time is you will qualify for a 2X2 call sign rather than the 2X3 call sign.

When I went into AF back in 1953 Morris code was part of our aptitude test. It started quite slow which was easy but as it sped up I just got lost!
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Half a century ago I got involved in CB with a buddy of mine and subsequently ham radio. I tried to learn Morse code in scouting, but could not as apparently my mind does not work that way...when it does work. As a boy growing up I had a neighbor who was into ham radio and was a radioman on a DD in the Pacific. He became a ham in the mid 30's and said in the Navy school some guys just couldn't master the code as they didn't have an ear for it. I gave up on it and just recently learned that the code is no longer a required part. Last week I read over some of the questions and was amazed at how simple though it was. I learned more complex theory and application in college. Our daughter overheard my conversation with my bride that I wanted to become an operator, so on Amazon she ordered the Tech book which arrived yesterday. Wish me luck guys that I can get both of my brain cells to cooperate.
    Sam
    I have no idea what so ever about this, but I wish you luck.

KTK

Go for it I took the first exam at age 79 and the General exam at 80 years of age. Passed them both. Now have a call sign of N1 GAF. Don't sweat it, use the book and test yourself with with the Internet help. Piece of Cake!

My college roommate was a Ham back in the 60's. He was great at Morse code and can still send and read Morse at incredible speeds. Me, if you print the dots and dashes, I can translate the code but not by listening to it. I remembered his call sign and looked him up after I retired. His call sign is still K5ALU.

Went on active duty in the Army back in 1982. When I was in the Exam Station (cant remember exact term now) (further edit 2/28/2021 entry station was MEPS: Military Entrance Processing Station) the staff came through and asked if anyone wanted to take a Morse Code test, as the Army was offering a 8000 dollar enlistment bonus . Off I went and somehow passed.

Then off to Ft Devens MA late winter of 1983. 6 months of nothing but dits and dashes. Then off to Germany for 2 years at a giant NATO listening station for 2 years. Finally got my speed up to 44 gpm (wpm).

I got out in 1993, and in 1995 I took the ham test, and passed 20 wpm the first time. Other guys taking the test were astounded, but then, I didn't tell them I had been copying code for a living for 10 years.
    Last edited by Hal O'Peridol; 02-28-2021 at 12:03.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

I was a Naval Communications Technician (CT2 when discharged in the mid 60s) and my job was copying morse code. My speed was probably never more than 25 or maybe 30 groups per minute on my best day. Copying non-manual morse messages in 5 characters per group is comparatively easy compared to manual morse. Some radio operators who were sending messages by hand sounded as if they were using their fists or feet to pound out the code. There are very few CTs that came back from a tour of duty with all of their hearing intact.

We actually had guys who weren't real fast at typing but would remember back several characters and would continue typing for a few seconds after the sender finished the message. I couldn't do that. I had to stay current or I'd get "lost."

You are right, those were number groups and machine generated. Best I was able to do on manual sent non formatted traffic was about 25 wpm. That was also keeping up tith back and forth messages on a simplex net and several (IIRC) sites. Most of that traffic was comblock and not nearly as nice or clean sounding. One station was a very nice endition of a turkey sending the code.

Copying morse is strange, some folks have a knack for it, some never get it. Anything around 25 wpm on non formatted morse is a very nice achievement.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!