1. Default M1903A1 questions

I have recently acquired SA# 1349985, in an early Springfield C stock bearing a nice SA/GAW cartouche and ordnance wheel. the bbl is stamped SA 4-30. The rear sight base has relief cuts. The pistol grip bears two P firing proofs and is stamped S and N in the cutoff scallop. It has an NS bolt with one small gas relief hole . The rear sight leaf is bright, the slide blued and the windage and elevation knobs flat. The trigger and buttplate are smooth. The entire gun is dark grey parkerized and the components pretty well matched. The muzzle is zero and the throat two. Overall the gun is about 90%.

If the previous owner can be believed, the gun has been in his grandfather's attic for the last sixty years.

I acquire early prewar 1903s and have little knowledge of wartime rebuilds. I assume the gun is a rebuild, with the 1930 bbl, the GAW cartouche and the double firing proofs. Can anyone comment further?

PS: I have no luck posting photos on web sites but can email photos if needed. All info gratefully accepted. Dokcop.

I can't get out of Mr. Beard's way fast enough, but at first guess the barrel date is right on target for the receiver. Curious if you have a "NS" or "N.S." bolt. Would love to see pictures as I have an ersatz A1 built on a 1.37M receiver with a Hatcher hole. To be honest from your description my first reaction was "Oooh, sexy".

Again, would love to see pictures but must admit I cannot give you the expert opinion the rifle deserves. But it sounds like a terrific find.
    Last edited by togor; 09-15-2017 at 11:32.

I believe you are spot on with your assumption that it went through rebuild in WWII. George A. Woody became the Commanding Officer of Springfield Armory in Mid 1943 and served in that capacity until he became too sick to serve in that capacity. Brig. Gen. Norman F. Ramsey was appointed Commanding Officer in September of 1944, but the SA/GAW cartouche continued to be used over into 1945.

Your rifle's barreled receiver was originally manufactured in 1930 as a replacement for a low number barreled receiver on a rifle turned in for overhaul. It then went through perhaps one or more overhauls, the last being circa 1944 at Springfield Armory. At that last overhaul, the barreled receiver was fitted with a Type C stock and NS bolt taken from other pre-war rifles turned in for overhaul.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 09-15-2017 at 06:59.

5. Default 1903A1

Togo, Johnny P, John Beard:

FYI, A little addtl info: The rifle has no Hatcher hole. The bolt has the n.s. mark. The gun shows handling but little use. It goes to the range this week.

Much thanks for the very useful comments. Dokcop.
    Last edited by dokcop; 09-16-2017 at 06:41.