Default Opinions on Ithica Model 37

U.S. ITHICA MODEL 37 Viet Nam War TRENCH GUN

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/695058723

2. Default

My opinion is FAKE

3. Default

No first hand experience with these, only from books. The serial number range is the one mentioned in Canfield, but the US is different from the one pictured in his book. The one in Bruce's book has periods after the letters and the letters are larger than the Ithaca anvil stamped below them. The Gunbroker gun has smaller letters without periods that look a lot like the correct letters for a WWI Winchester Trench or Riot gun. Those stamps are now readily available from Numrich and other suppliers which explains why now nearly every alleged WWI Trench Gun you see for sale has those letters, whereas they used to be less common.

Likewise, the "P" mark on the Gunbroker gun has serifs and appears larger than the example in Canfield's book. That said, the picture in the book does not show the "P" head on, so I may be wrong about that. Again, those stamps are readily available.

Finally, the handguard/bayonet adapter has the drawing number stamp found on Winchester Model 12 Trench Guns. Those may not be unique to Winchesters. I presume the drawing number came from the DOD so maybe Ithaca used those too.

At any rate, I generally agree with my more pithy fellow collector above. I don't think the gun is real for the reasons I've given.
    Last edited by Ironlip; 09-15-2017 at 08:59.

4. Default

US markings are wrong
    Should not have the anvil
    Should not have drawing numbers
    Plugged front sight hole can be seen if you look carefully
    But the BIG one:
    ALL WWII Trench guns and ALL known VN Trench AND Riot guns are solid frame. There are no interrupted threads, the barrel has to screw all the way in and out.
    You can't fake that.

5. Default

Here are pictures and info an real VN Ithaca shotguns

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...Ithaca+VietNam

6. Default

It is the rare ITHICA not the more commonly seen (and real) ITHACA Model 37. You know it is a genuine ITHICA because it has the modified Winchester 1200 adaptor.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    It is the rare ITHICA not the more commonly seen (and real) ITHACA Model 37. You know it is a genuine ITHICA because it has the modified Winchester 1200 adaptor.
    Now that's just mean. We are going to tear down your statues.

Thanks you have confirmed what I thought