Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

If this is what you can see, think about what they'll be hiding.
    This shows beyond doubt they can't even spell craftsmen and will throw up anything IF they think they can get by with it.
    You need to double check each & every single thing they do .
    That crap needs to come down and I wouldn't settle for them toenailing the replacements in.
    They screwed it up, make them fix it right or you can call your city or county building inspector, then they'll be fixing everybody's house.
    These kind of yahoos will likely put 1 or 2 nails when common sense or code calls for 3 or 4
    I'd also carry a 3 ft level and check each & every wall for plumb ,
    use a measuring tape and check for square [measured diagonally both measurements should be the same or very close]
    This is the skeleton of your home if it's not right , nothing will be right.
    You're paying for this and will be for many years, If you accept crap work believe me you'll get it in spades.
    Oh and BTW what is the primary language spoken by your so called "framers".?
    Last edited by ray55classic; 09-13-2017 at 08:37.
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"

Stuff has been sitting inside somewhere. Dried out.
    Isn't cracked either. It's split. You need to talk to the contractor and probably a lawyer.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Sir they were in the kiln to short or run through to fast i would not accept them if it were my house

NO! NO! NO! Those are future problems waiting to happen!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I would call the Building Insp. if no action from foreman!

Let us know how things turn out.

The one picture shows to be an outside wall which would be a load bearing wall. The wood used is utility grade white wood which is the cheapest. Building code does not allow utility grade lumber on a load bearing wall. Like already stated, if replaced you will have toe nailed studs but that is better than shaky lumber.
    The splits (shake) in the boards may be caused by one of two things - wind damaged trees or harvesting dead timber that has dried and split and that further devalues the lumber.
    Link on wall construction.
    http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newje...s_chapter6.pdf

Selling shaky lumber makes shaky customers and shaky customers make shaky business and shaky business make everyone dissatisfied.

look up the building codes for your state.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako View Post
    The splits (shake) in the boards may be caused by one of two things - wind damaged trees or harvesting dead timber that has dried and split and that further devalues the lumber.
    After one of our many hurricanes we lost 55 huge pecan trees. They were all laying on their sides with the roots and limbs still attached along with what looked like bomb craters where the trees had once stood. We contacted companies that buy/sell hardwood lumber. They said they weren't interested in buying them because they had been laid down by the wind stating that so many times they twist and splinter, crack, split the internal grain before coming down.

I have seen lumber graded as 3rd's that looked better than what I'm seeing on this photo of the wall.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-14-2017 at 07:23.

I have helped build a few homes, large decks, shops. Get that wood out of there, sub standard. Not what you want for your walls, trouble down the road
    Last edited by warbrds; 09-14-2017 at 05:01. Reason: spelling
    " When you are out of Sixes, you are out of Interceptors"

east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Sako View Post
    The one picture shows to be an outside wall which would be a load bearing wall. The wood used is utility grade white wood which is the cheapest. Building code does not allow utility grade lumber on a load bearing wall. Like already stated, if replaced you will have toe nailed studs but that is better than shaky lumber.
    Link on wall construction.
    http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newje...s_chapter6.pdf

Selling shaky lumber makes shaky customers and shaky customers make shaky business and shaky business make everyone dissatisfied.

look up the building codes for your state.
    Sako is right about whitewood it's the cheapest crap available and to add insult to injury they're using seconds and thirds of the cheapest crap available.
    Using it as framework for a home is highly unethical IMO
    whitewood has little structural strength compared to yellow pine , even primed and painted whitewood usually rots out within a few years .
    The only thing I've found it's good for is dunnage to keep the good lumber off the ground with.
    His advice to look up your state & local building codes is sound . This will be valuable info for you to study and use as ammo.

If it was mine I'd be talking to a good lawyer & looking for a way to back out of any contract due to the contractor using substandard materials during construction.
    Seriously don't accept this , any of it. Walk away now & you'll be ahead of the game
    Last edited by ray55classic; 09-14-2017 at 06:20.
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"