Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Foreman on vacation situation is BS. Somebody always takes over during a planned absence. Don't back down until after the problem is rectified as they're already blowing smoke up your... In other words don't back off based on a sincere sounding hollow promise.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Anyone know a good Attorney in Indy?
    Barnes & Thornburg is a very large national law firm, with an office in Indianapolis, that also deals in construction law. They are very effective and seldom go to court, but when they do, they win.

http://www.btlaw.com/ConstructionLaw/
    Last edited by gwp; 09-18-2017 at 07:01. Reason: to use my quota of ,

3. Default

Finally some good news. The super of bldg emailed me yesterday and took responsibility and agreed that the framing was not right, that the crappy wood should never have been used and they would make it right. The solution is that I was able to mark each stud I felt was defective, they will then leave those, but will toenail a new stud to each side. I told them I wanted a stamped letter and new drawing from an Engineer and they agreed to do that. Today the lumber for the repair came in and I was able to inspect that before the work is done tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Finally some good news. The super of bldg emailed me yesterday and took responsibility and agreed that the framing was not right, that the crappy wood should never have been used and they would make it right. The solution is that I was able to mark each stud I felt was defective, they will then leave those, but will toenail a new stud to each side. I told them I wanted a stamped letter and new drawing from an Engineer and they agreed to do that. Today the lumber for the repair came in and I was able to inspect that before the work is done tomorrow.
    Doubt if your electrician and plumber will be happy with that "solution." Doubling and tripling up on the bad studs will just make it that much harder for them to run romex, cable, piping, etc.

Well, now you can tell everyone you have a "crippled" house. Crippling is the low-cost (but efficient) expedient.
    Aside from sparky and the turd herder not appreciating it, your rockers and tapers are going to have seam problems if the studs aren't clamped flush as they go. I doubt a bungalow busting crew can afford the time to do that.

*added* While I didn't make my living as a bungalow buster, I did do a couple seasons of residential framing in my earlier years. For the most part I spent my years in the trade as a commercial carpenter. Hi-rises, hospitals, shopping malls, airport terminals etc. Metal framing can produce the same problems and results but for different reasons.
    Last edited by JB White; 09-20-2017 at 03:40.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

6. Default

I was there yesterday and the Mexican labor was roofing next door, they all started yelling and I thought there must be quite the row going on. Went outside and found that some young man had fallen off the roof and was splat.

Aye,yi yi.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

¡Ay, caramba!

Blog Entries

when we built my current house, either my brother or I would ride by daily to check progress etc,

anytime we saw something like that we notified the foreman,
    if it was there the next day, we removed it ,