Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Any House Framers?

Building a new home, in town, lightweight construction type home. So they framed the 1st floor walls today and I found a lot of studs with these checks. I walked thru several other homes that are also under const and none had more than one or two like this in the whole house. I would say 20% of my studs are like this. So before I fly off the handle and chew butt I wanted a pros advise...should I be making them replace these?
    20170912_191231.jpg

Personally I would not accept these in my building, much less my house.
    Sam

leftyo Guest

oh hellll no!

I'm not sure the building inspector would accept them either. Remember it's your house and $, not the contractors.

5. Default

Yea, just wanted to make sure I not being over zealous as it's my house. I'll wait for their reply and if not acceptable I'll just call the building inspector. And to be fair, it was just framed, the building super has not seen it yet, he might have a cow himself.

I'll bet they got that wood at a really good price! Personally, I wouldn't settle for it. If they claim that it's not a load bearing wall, keep in mind that a wall also has to resist side forces, such as wind.

Those are beyond a little checking. Those are cracked. Maintain your cool but demand they come out.
    Odds are if they replace a few they'll knock them out and pound the old nails over onto the sole plate before toenailing the new ones. I doubt they would take the time to sawzall the nails flush. If more than just a few are like that then demand they replace the entire wall unless your fine with your wall being toenailed.
    It's your house and you're the boss. Photograph everything as it could be used as a deal breaker if you're so inclined.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I've never seen anything like that. I'm not a builder, but I've watched friends put up homes. They sure as heck wouldn't accept that. What was the builder thinking? It looks awful.
    Are you a cheap bastard? If you accepted the lowest bid well then....
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Totally unacceptable! Those are weak lumber. May cause future problems for sure!