Default Removing bore brush from .22 Barrel

Was cleaning a 522VIPER for friend.
    Wet the brush and pushed into bore breech-end,
    pushed clear past muzzle and reversed the stroke.
    On the fourth stroke, the bore brush pulled from crimped socket of thread adapter.
    About eight inches from muzzle.

Went to hardware store and bought a socket set screw in 8-32 thread, screwed into SS one piece rod, with socket reversed, as there is a small conic depression on working end. To try and keep the rounded lop centered as I pushed, to avoid jamming the rod and brush wire end loop to the side of barrel.

Added few drops of oil [Marvel myster fluid] down bore- breech, inserted one-piece rod into muzzle,
    laid exposed rod on flat surface and rod handle into corner of garage stud and wall interface, and slowly applied force to VIPER action and barrel.
    Came out "slicker than snot"!!

An alternate rod would be the GI bore rods for the 5.56 rifles.

I have had that happen once. Just used another rod an pushed it thru in same direction. No problem, no socket set screw, no oil. These just don't make them bushes like they used to!
    You can never go home again.

Have a new bag of .22 and .30 cal., that are fitted with the non-twisted wire, through the brass threadedadapter, then bent forwardand the bristles addedand then twisted.

To avoid furthr mishaps

4. Default

Someone once told me to always push a bronze brush down the bore from breech to muzzle & to not pull it back from muzzle to breech. Never paid much attention to that advice, but I will now.

5. Default

Over the weekend I brought home a new-to-me .22 pump rifle that looks to have never been disassembled or cleaned. The bore was generously coated with closet lint, which was stuck in place by old dried grease or oil. My .22 cleaning kit was across town. All I had were a couple of old bristle bore brushes & a patch jag. I got an ultra CHEAP POS Hoppes rod with multi caliber stuff I didn't need, but the price was right & I was too impatient to wait a few weeks to get my stuff back.

The .22 bronze brush didn't look right (diameter too big) even though it was stamped ".22". It would have gotten stuck for certain. Over the past several years I've switched over from bronze to nylon bristles & last nite put in an e-bay order for some fine bristle brushes. Meanwhile, some GI bore cleaner, allowed to soak, removed the bore lint just fine. Bore is bright & shiney.

6. Default

You shouldn't use a bronze brush in a .22 rimfire. It will wear out your bore. Lead bullets are not abrasive and all you need is a patch with solvent since there is no copper fouling. I have used nylon bore brushes though for heavy fouling.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Glad you got the stuck brush out! Your method obviously worked. Would agree, could have been removed by pushing. Will say, hardly ever use a brush in common .22 LR firearms since .22 LR ammo is just lead bullets. Impossible for lead to wear any kind of a normal steel barrel as used for a firearm. For that matter, impossible for a bore brush to wear a bore of any rifle unless that brush is one of the stainless steel types. Brass, phosphor-bronze, etc., are not anywhere near the hardness of steel. The brush will wear out. If the core is steel, it could conceivably by being bent come into contact with the bore. That would obviously not be a good thing. But, a bronze/phosphor-bronze brush w/ a non-steel core will not damage the bore of a firearm through common use. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The problem is lead build up in the bore. Takes a lot of shooting but it will happen, accuracy will fall off after that.
    You can never go home again.

9. Default

I competed for a year or more without cleaning my .22RF target rifle. Finally the accuracy dropped off, so I cleaned it. The significant fouling was in the first 6 inches or so of the throat. You could "feel" it. It took some elbow grease but I got the fouling out and the whole bore was smooth. I believe I used a nylon brush wrapped with a cotton patch and Hoppies #9 and worked the rough area most.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves