Thread: 9X18 Makarov

Blog Entries

Default 9X18 Makarov

What's the difference in the Russian Silver Bear and Brown Bear cartridges?

Both are 94 gn round nose FMJ bullet. The Silver Bear is not reloadable; I don'tknow about the Brown bear. Both seem to be the same price.

forgot to ask.... what's best source for .365 Mak lead bullets? Thanks in advance.

Silver Bear is Berdan Primed Zinc-Plated Steel Cases and Brown Bear is Berdan Primed Lacquer Coated Steel Cases.

Grafs has reasonably priced bullets.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...categoryId/565
    Last edited by gwp; 09-07-2017 at 08:19.

Blog Entries

GWP, thanks. I don't understand why the Ruskies would make 2 different versions of the same cartridge zinc vs. lacquer, must be some special application specific use.

Thanks for the link; I did see this site earlier today, and they have the best bullet buy I've found. But, I wanted to ask if anyone else knew of another. The best thing about the forums is that no ONE knows better than ALL of those on the forum.

I'm thinking of beginning reloading for my Mak and I'm looking at the cost of make-buy. (can't quantify the enjoyment of reloading; after a bad day and reloading fifty rounds or so, I become a mellow fellow) The Mak is still not a popular round as I can't walk into Cabela's, or Sportsman's Warehouse and buy a box. I can order a case from J&G or several others, but I don't want/need that much.

I believe there is Boxer prime brass available for that Makarov.

Never did understand why the Ruskies used steel for the ammo. I've seen several 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 steel cases literally split from the shoulder right on down to the rim! Not sure why that happens, but it can't be good...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

"...Silver Bear is not reloadable..." Neither is the Brown. However, The Brown lacquered is an FMJ. The other zinc plated is an HP.
    "...why the Ruskies used steel..." Cheap and easy to make. It's also what their military uses. Buying 'em funds the Russian Army. I think.
    Midway lists 4 flavours of bullet. Berry's plated, Speer TMJ's, Hornady XTP's and Meister hard cast(93 grain RN's at $46.49 per 500).
    Spelling and grammar count!