Default Rem. 22 cal surplus from CMP

Picked up a few 5K cases of this stuff from the CMP a couple, or more years ago. Just wondering if anyone has used any of it and what kind of results you may have had. At $90. a case I couldn't pass it up.

Semper Fi
    Art

Son and I split a case years back before 22 was so hard to get. It was just referred to as 'white box', had no brand name on it or ID of any kind. I only use it for plinking.
    You can never go home again.

3. Default

I've been through a few cases of it. We used it for indoor winter shooting for our juniors. It's pretty accurate, at least for training ammo, but you'd get misfires from time to time. We used it for 3&4 position smallbore rifle but not for pistol. The misfires would screw up rapid and timed fire stages. All you did for a misfire was rotate the round and shoot again, so not a problem for rifle. It was so cheap, it felt like shooting for free. I just gave it to the kids.

Thanks for the replies. I broke open a case to use in my Kimber 82 G and wanted keep the SK match extra and tenex in reserve. Can't afford to replace that stuff these days.

I ordered quickly enough to get a $90 case before it sold out. It came in a cardboard box with foil lining. I set the case back to use the older canned 22LR that the CMP sold earlier when the price was very low. I have saved the match ammo for so long that I no longer benefit from the additional accuracy.

The lower level Army Reserve team members (rifle and pistol) received white box Winchester and Remington standard 22LR for individual practice. White box match was provided for team practice and commercial 22LR for the matches. The standard white box ammo usually had one or two misfires per box of standard with the Remington usually having fewer misfires. The white box match ammo seldom had misfires.

I wasn't dialed in for that sale but still have an uncracked second case of the .22 Aguila. That has been perfectly fine ammo for plinking. Got out of the habit of shooting .22.

I had bought 3 cases of this ammo from the CMP many years back. I broke one case open, and just fired it for practice in both rifle and pistol. I suspect that this stuff was stored improperly at some point ( at least the stuff I had ) Many misfires and shot all over the targets, not very consistent. Didn't operate the action of a High Standard HD Military pistol well either, lots of jambs. I brought the remaining cases to a gun show in Reno during the 22 shortage and sold them to a dealer who was happy to get them for $300 per case. I was honest and explained the problems I had with them, didn't matter to him. Now that 22 is returning to the shelves, I've stocked up with replacements, and even the 1400 round Remington buckets are much better than the CMP Remington. Might be not all of the Remington stuff the CMP sold was bad, but mine sure was. I remember firing the Mossberg 44's at the indoor range in boot camp at Great Lakes, nice rifle, fired at a close range ( I thought at that range, there shouldn't be much of the center of the target left ) my shots were all over the target, they might have had the same problem back then, and that was 1967.
    Chris

I can't top $90 a case but WM has had their Remington Thunderbolt 22LR ammo for sale for $24.97 a brick for the past month or so. I went today and they had marked it down to $21.87 a brick so I bought the last 3 they had. $90 is pre-obama prices. At least the retailers have them on the shelf now and the prices are heading in the right direction. Thank God for Trump.