Future son in law asked if I'd repair a stock for him, and I had no idea what I was getting into before I agreed. What was handed to me is a 'sporterized', restocked, US M1917, Eddystone, with rear sight ears removed, all the usual...except this one is wearing a two groove Johnson Arms replacement barrel with a 'prick punch' mark in the Ordnance "Bomb" behind the front sight. I've seen these barrels 'loose', for sale, but not encountered one installed. I 'assume' that the prick punch mark would lend credence to the notion that this was an arsenal or armory installation. Couple of questions come to mind, though. Were 17's rebarreled and revamped before going over for Lend Lease to Allies, were they retained here in the States for Guard Duty and training?
The stock is shot, probably cheaper/easier/less time just to replace with a new sporter type. The action screws were both 'less than finger tight', the stock split at the rear of the inletting for the rear tang, forward through the magazine mortise, and a large portion of the recoil lug is broken out.