Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default JA Replacement barrel

Future son in law asked if I'd repair a stock for him, and I had no idea what I was getting into before I agreed. What was handed to me is a 'sporterized', restocked, US M1917, Eddystone, with rear sight ears removed, all the usual...except this one is wearing a two groove Johnson Arms replacement barrel with a 'prick punch' mark in the Ordnance "Bomb" behind the front sight. I've seen these barrels 'loose', for sale, but not encountered one installed. I 'assume' that the prick punch mark would lend credence to the notion that this was an arsenal or armory installation. Couple of questions come to mind, though. Were 17's rebarreled and revamped before going over for Lend Lease to Allies, were they retained here in the States for Guard Duty and training?
    The stock is shot, probably cheaper/easier/less time just to replace with a new sporter type. The action screws were both 'less than finger tight', the stock split at the rear of the inletting for the rear tang, forward through the magazine mortise, and a large portion of the recoil lug is broken out.

The returning 17s were supposed to go directly into storage right after WW1 when the govt. decided to continue using the 03s. They were given a rebuild prior to being stored when it was discovered that they were beginning to rust and would soon be useless if something wasn't done quickly. It's possible the original barrel was replaced during the post-WW1 rebuild. What's the date that's stamped on the barrel?

I've seen one or two sporterized 17s for sale at gun shows with their ears cut off and it always makes me wonder...

3. Default

Johnson Automatics barrel would be a WWII rebuild. The answers to your questions can be yes and no depending on the time period and to who the m1917s were shipped. For example after the Battle of Dunkirk and enormous numbers of M1917s were just given to Great Britain this taking place before the Lend Lease program. Later the M1917s were also given under Lend Lease to several of the Allied nations, Chinese and French come to mind. The M1917 was used by the US military as a secondary standard after our entry into WWII. Upon the US entry into WWII there was a shortage of .30-06 caliber rifles in general. Many that were taken out of storage were found to have rusted barrels due to improper preservation of the barrels. The US Army Ordnance had a vast number of left barrels from the WWI production of the M1917. These barrels were used up in the replacement, Additionally US Army Ordnance "built" additional 20,000 rifles from these left over spare parts thereby creating a shortage of new barrels. The Army at this point contracted RIA, High Standard (HS) and Johnson Automatics (JA) for new barrels. The M1917 was used by rear echelon US troops overseas but generally used states side.

--fjruple
    Last edited by fjruple; 09-04-2017 at 04:24.

FJruple:

As near as I have been able to determine, there were not a lot of surplus barrels made for 1917s in WWI.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    FJruple:

As near as I have been able to determine, there were not a lot of surplus barrels made for 1917s in WWI.
    RC20--

A lot of surplus barrels is really a subjective term. The US Army Ordnance had enough to build 20,000 additional rifles from spare parts in addition to replacing barrels on M1917 rifles that improperly preserved after WWI. This created a shortage of replacement barrels for spare parts. Given the fact that a little over 2 million of the rifles were built in WWI plus the US had to support the 200,000 M1917s that were shipped to the Philippines in 1935 a shortage could very easily take place. Additionally the US had to supply spare parts for M1917 provided under Lead Lease so it does not take long to go through a lot of barrels quickly especially given the fact that corrosive priming was used in our ammunition at the time. Another perfect example would be the massive rebuilding program for the M1 rifle after WWII in the late 40's.

--fjruple

Thanks for the information fellas. This barrel has been polished, and had to use magnification just to glean what information I shared. Can't, as yet, make out a date, but I suspected it was a War II replacement. Just got through cleaning the bore, and it looks like it should be pretty nice. What threw me at first is that it was a 'right hand' twist, instead of the usual five groove, left hand twist that are common on these things. Again, thanks!

Just came in from making a little noise with my Eddystone 1917 with a Johnson Automatics replacement barrel. Old girl does a pretty good job at 100 yds even if I can't see the target very well.

Semper Fi
    Art

I would check for a cracked receiver.....Carefully go around the entire receiver with the q tip wet with lighter fluid.....I would not shoot a rifle with part of the recoil lug missing....regards....alex

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Just came in from making a little noise with my Eddystone 1917 with a Johnson Automatics replacement barrel. Old girl does a pretty good job at 100 yds even if I can't see the target very well.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Art--

That's not bad shooting with a two groove JA barrel at 100 yards.

--fjruple

I have one that is a full up original (0r as original as they get after all the go through)

Pretty good barrel. Responds more like a 1903 to reloads as its the same form.

And they could go anywhere. Less likelyh to overseas as most of those went early and were the ones removed from Stoarge.

The JA and HS came latter as they realized they did not have enough weapons for all the rear line (mostly) needs and started to supply barrels.

Most are fine as they were done right with the right tools.

The ones that you have to watch are the sporterized ones and if done wrong yes they can be cracked