Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Eddystone Question

There is an estate auction close to me next weekend that has an Eddystone M1917 that will be sold. It is not much more than a barreled receiver with sights, bolt and stock. Has some of the trigger group but not sure how much. The rear handguard is a lighter color than the other parts of the stock. Can find out as much as I can if I need to but that will only be from what is on the auction site. Don't have pics other than that. What would be a price that those of you who deal with these be willing to spend?

2. Default

Marty--

You really have not provided a lot of information. You did not give an idea of the condition of the barrel? Do you have the ability to ask questions or request photos? In you case I would look at a parts listing to see what is missing. Eddystone M1917 are the most common of the three manufacturers. A lot of these M1917s were rebuilt during WWII. It's tough trying to affix a price to what you have without further research or information. Good luck on you bid.

3. Default

The auction site is an hour away and I don't have the time nor do I think I could go see it before the auction anyway. I looked at the pics that are on the site and it seems the rifle is all there but missing the floor plate, trigger guard and all the magazine and follower parts. I can get the s/n if that would help, but there is no barrel date pics. So I know there is not much to go on, so I was just wondering what anyone in the know on these would say what they would be willing to spend on it knowing it has to be finished so I would have an idea if I even want to bother with it. Thanks.

The missing components you mentioned are inexpensive to replace and are easily found on the internet. However, the act of stripping a rifle for parts could indicate that a previous owner found a problem with a major component, i.e. barrel, receiver, etc. and determined ther rifle was scrap. Unfortunately, you probably won’t be able to determine if this is true in advance of the sale. Therefore, the value of the rifle is in what the remaining useable components are worth if sold individually.

Warning: A lot of M1917's out there are VFW returns that CMP sold. The Vets fired off a farewell volley, then retired to the bar. The blanks back in the day had corrosive primers and the barrels are sewer pipes. I purchased one because it was so cheap. The rounds were key-holing at 25 yards.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I second both issues with a rifle like that.

My brother and I worked on a 1903 that looked great and had the throat eaten out. Indication of a lot of handling for ceremonial volley role. Keyholes as well.

Torn down and more dubious.

YOu would really need to get the Steven Mathews Throat Erosion and Muzzle wear gauge to assess the barrel and thats not a given. They can be bent or other issues and not shoot worth a hoot.

7. Default

You all have given me some good points to watch for. However, just found out that the auction has been cancelled "due to court order" because of some family disputes. Don't know if it will be rescheduled later, but if so, I will definitely use this info in making decision whether to bid. And since I have had my eyes open trying to find a good deal on a 1917, if there is any other info that should be checked, throw that in too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty T. View Post
    You all have given me some good points to watch for. However, just found out that the auction has been cancelled "due to court order" because of some family disputes. Don't know if it will be rescheduled later, but if so, I will definitely use this info in making decision whether to bid. And since I have had my eyes open trying to find a good deal on a 1917, if there is any other info that should be checked, throw that in too. Thanks.
    You should be able to find a good shooter in average mixmaster condition that’s all there for probably $600 to $900. Pristine parts correct examples might sell for double that. I’d pass on this one, buy the gauges (TE, ME and headspace), and a good bore light and keep looking.

Dan’s point about VFW rifles is a good one. I’ve seen some that were in very nice shape but with barrels almost completely plugged.

9. Default

What's bad is that a year or so ago I could've bought a nice Winchester for $400 from a fellow closing his gunshop and passed. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty T. View Post
    What's bad is that a year or so ago I could've bought a nice Winchester for $400 from a fellow closing his gunshop and passed. Duh.
    $400 for a shootable Winchester is pretty amazing. That also happened to me several years ago. I still regret passing up two clean Eddystones that had asking prices of $500 and $600. Both were offered in “as is” condition which carries some element of risk.

I bought my 1917 Winchester M1917 and 1943 Remington 03-A3 from Cabelas “Gun Library” in Wheeling, WV. Both rifles have good basics (TE, ME, headspace and clean bores) and turned out to be excellent shooters. Cabelas has a two day return policy on used firearms. This allows buyers enough time to have the gun’s basics checked out by a gunsmith and taken to a range. Their prices are more in line with the on-line auctions.

Added note: Make sure that headspace is tested with a field gauge.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-11-2018 at 08:57.