Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Current pricing on N0, 4 Mk. 1 rifles

Hello all, lts been awhile since I visited last, am having serious health issues. In any case can anyone give me a best guess on current pricing on N0, 4 Mk. 1 rifles? I get emails from an outfit called Classic Firearms and they are offering a bunch of them in decent but not great condition starting at $699.99 with opcharges for Longbranch or Savage made rifles. Is this realistic?

As I noted I'm having serious health issues and I may have to start selling off my military collection soon and it includes 2 Maltby No.4s in very good condition. Both have ladder sights but I still have the original flip sights.

1942 Maltby LE Maltby-7 (2).jpg

1943 MaltbyLE 43 Maltby-1 (2).jpg

Any input would be appreciated.

leftyo Guest

doing business with classic, is rolling the dice. shady outfit!

I would suggest that a more realistic price for a good condition No.4 is around $400-$450.

That's about what I was thinking. About a year ago I sold a nlce collection duplicate 1918 BSA No. 1 MK. III with bayonet. for $450.00. I can't imagine a so-so No. 4 going for 7 bills but that's what the are asking.

Thanks foe the response.

Prices of any milsurps vary from place to place. Condition is every thing and proof of good headspace will increase values on Lee-Enfields. However, due primarily to supply and demand, U.S. prices can be nuts. Lotta ignorance of the rifles too. There's a good condition(no mention of headspace) Savage No. 4 Mk I*, being called a Mk I,(isn't quite the same thing and a Mk I will bring more money), currently on Gunbroker, the guy thinks is worth $1289 with no bids. Same guy, who thinks a No. 4 is W.W. I vintage, has another No. 4 with U/S(UnServicable, as I recall) he thinks is worth $1299.
    There's a 1950 Long Branch with a S/N matching mag on GunsAmerica at $450.
    The Classic Firearms guys don't know what they're talking about. The No. 4's he's showing are in need of some TLC, have aftermarket mags(lotta of those are junk) and are not worth $700. No mention of headspace by them either.
    Your's, on the other hand, are in excellent condition(assuming the headspace is good) and are worth what the Classic Firearms' guy is asking at least.
    Spelling and grammar count!

That's nice to know. I may have to start selling the collection off later this year depending on what upcoming lung and throat biopsies show next week. I owe it to my wife to try to recoup some of the monet I've spent on guns over the years and she would have no idea on values.

Back a few years when I shot on a weekly basis, I shot both of these rifles extensivly. using Greek milsurp ammo and my handloads. The 42 Maltby is all matching numbers and brass showed no sign of headspace issues. The 43 Maltby has a mismatched bolt but also showed no sign of headspace issues. At one point I had 7 303 rifles, including a very nice Remington P14, and that 43 Maltby was the best shooter.

If memory serves, they both came from SOGi in Ohio circa 2005-2006 and came with spike bayonets. I don't remember prices but the were surely no where near 7 bills.

Thanks adain all for the Input.

Times sure have changed. Bought my first No4 for $11.95 ar Sears Roebuck in Chicago!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Times sure have changed. Bought my first No4 for $11.95 ar Sears Roebuck in Chicago!
    John--
    Yes those were the days!! I remember going to Sears in Camden, NJ and buying surplus rifles that were in a cardboard drum that they use to ship china in. Lee Enfields, Mausers of any vary, Rolling Blocks, 03's, M1917, etc. Since then Sears has stopped selling guns, Camden has become a demilitarized zone, and you have to give up your first born to buy a gun in NJ.

--fjruple

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jisii View Post
    That's nice to know. I may have to start selling the collection off later this year depending on what upcoming lung and throat biopsies show next week. I owe it to my wife to try to recoup some of the monet I've spent on guns over the years and she would have no idea on values.

Back a few years when I shot on a weekly basis, I shot both of these rifles extensivly. using Greek milsurp ammo and my handloads. The 42 Maltby is all matching numbers and brass showed no sign of headspace issues. The 43 Maltby has a mismatched bolt but also showed no sign of headspace issues. At one point I had 7 303 rifles, including a very nice Remington P14, and that 43 Maltby was the best shooter.

If memory serves, they both came from SOGi in Ohio circa 2005-2006 and came with spike bayonets. I don't remember prices but the were surely no where near 7 bills.

Thanks adain all for the Input.
    sorry to hear of your troubles and hope the biopsies are good,

you are doing the right thing, too many of us gun owners have a habit of collecting with out keeping any kind of records , even if just a scrap of paper with a value on it, leaving the work of disposing the firearms to the widow (or widower) kids etc, that may not have a clue what anything is worth, or who to trust to help dispose or who to avoid,

as far as your value,
    both would bring 450-475 in this area, (using your description and pics, )

On that same note, I can remember 03 Springfields for $40 at Montgomery Wards department store in Chicago!