Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default trapdoor bayonet on 1873 barrel

I have a trapdoor 1873 with a cartouched 1886 dated stock. recently obtained a bayonet that does not fit flush with the muzzle of the barrel but, rather extends about 1/4 in' or a bit more past the muzzle. does anybody have an explanation for this?? bayonet fits right over the front sight and locks up as intended. my trapdoor is a Springfield. could this be for a different maker trapdoor?? as you can see in the picture it is a flush fit. my barrel sits below the bayonet opening. thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wolfie; 09-01-2017 at 10:45.

Your picture shows the correct mounting, with nothing apparently wrong. If it is a picture of the bayonet about which you are asking, then I do not understand your question.

Only Springfield made trapdoors, so there is no "other" maker - however, there were numerous other arms of the period with similar dimensions and set-ups, some of which may (almost) interchange.

Would need to know precise dimensions of socket, and all markings on the bayonet, to advise further.

3. Default

s-l1600.jpg100_3350.jpg Mr. Hosmer, thank you for your reply. I am not an educated collector in the field of 1800's arms and this is why I ask for info. attached is a picture of the bayonet I have only marked U.S. the other picture is having it mounted to the barrel which can be seen where the barrel muzzle is recessed. what do I have? fit and lock up is great but, this bayonet is probably for another rifle??? thank you.

As Dick has mentioned, it may 'fit', but it's not the bayonet intended for this particular weapon. Are there any other markings besides the "U.S."?

Last year I purchased (internet gun vendor) a Charleville musket w/bayonet. When I received same, although the bayonet 'fit', it had British markings on in. Turns out it was for a Brit rifle make in the 1850's.

If no one can come up with an answer, you can try Shawn at bayonetconnection.com. He does charge a fee ($20) for research, and will ask for several dimensions on the blade and socket. However, the fee is refundable if you decide to sell it to him. That's what I did, and got a good reduction on the price of a real Charleville bayonet.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

FWIW, without measuring other than by eyeball, your socket seems to be longer than normal - therefore, I'm guessing you have a mismatch.

The locking ring always goes behind the sight stud (hard to tell from your new picture, but the bayonet does not appear to be all the way "on"??

If the socket is just too tight to slip on, flush with muzzle, make sure it is not dented or pinched, or has a burr (I can understand your reluctance to force it on - some are quite tight) and you do not want to scratch the barrel. A bit of fine emery cloth on the inside of the socket, followed by a good oiling, should remove any crud that is hampering the operation.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the difference between the pic in post 1 as opposed to post 3, if, as I read it, they are supposed to be of the same bayonet??
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 09-01-2017 at 03:30.

6. Default

no Mr. Hosmer--- the first picture was taken off a site to use as an example the flush fit to compare to mine in the third picture to show the difference. I really thought it would fit being a U.S. made bayonet of the time. I will look to see if there is a problem with the socket. if not then I will have to find a correct one.

7. Default

no Mr. Hosmer--- the first picture was taken off a site to use as an example the flush fit to compare to mine in the third picture to show the difference. I really thought it would fit being a U.S. made bayonet of the time. I will look to see if there is a problem with the socket. if not then I will have to find a correct one.

The socket on 'wolfie's' U.S. marked bayonet appears longer than that of a standard trapdoor bayonet. The additional length seems to be between the 'lock-ring' and the blade shank. Could it be for a Chaffee-Reese or some other Springfield Armory made .45 caliber test arm?

9. Default

I have the problem solved thanks to Mr. Hosmer. the problem was inside the socket and the surface of the barrel. a build up of crud made the socket hard to push down where you then were able to swing the locking ring. a little cleaning and drops of hopes oil and its fixed! it now fits flush. thank you all for the advice.

I love a happy ending!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain