Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Man you are moving more then the military!
    Sam
    As the saying goes, 'That's life!" Hope that if this upcoming move materializes we will be able to stay close to daughter/grandson. It has been such a joy to get to see them more than infrequently. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

2. Default

I reload all over the house. Case cleaning is done on a workbench in the shop. Brass is primed at the combination couch, bigscreen, coffeetable /workbench station.

Powder is weighed/measured at a dedicated level and stable re-inforced countertop. Bullets are seated at either a reloading bench in the shop or at an adjacent workbench with another press that had been 'temporarily' mounted there for going on 9 years now.

One of the mistakes 99% reloaders make is having their scale on the same bench as their reloading press. When you resize cases or even seat bullets, your bench is likely to move. Maybe not much, but it can disturb your scale zero. A separate location made specifically for your scale only makes more consistent round-to-round power measuring.

I am getting to the age where I don't shoot much any more and don't need to reload very much. I have three 30-06 rifles that like three different loads for maximum accuracy... Screw that! Nowadays MOD (Minute Of Deer) will suffice... So, I screw my sizing die all the way down and use the same powder load, the same bullet, the same OAL for all three guns. I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards, firing off hand with a tight sling (about 66% of the time) and you guys worry about a 1/2" group at 100 yards not being good enough...

My reloading bench is 6'. I got rid of my Dillon stuff and am back to the basics. I have a RCBS Rick Chukker, RCBS measure, O'Haus scales, and dozens of accessories.

For handguns, I can reload .32 ACP, 9MM Luger, 9MM Largo, .38 S&W, .38 Special, .38 Super, .357, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

For rifles, I can reload .223, 6.5MM Carcano, .257 Robt's, 25.06, .264 Win Mag, 7MM-08, .308, 30-06, and 8MM Mauser, and maybe 1 or two I have forgotten about.

But I do everything one at a time... I weigh every charge, and measure every case and still would not let ANYBODY fire one of my reloads. I don't care who you are, or how bright you are, when you hit 70+ you ain't quite as sharp as you used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    One of the mistakes 99% reloaders make is having their scale on the same bench as their reloading press. When you resize cases or even seat bullets, your bench is likely to move. Maybe not much, but it can disturb your scale zero. A separate location made specifically for your scale only makes more consistent round-to-round power measuring.
    A little masking tap holding the old Ohaus in position takes care of that. Plus it isn't hard to check zero on an empty scale. QC on reloading is a matter of attitude, not space or equipment.

5. Default

QC is a matter of having stable equipment and equipment platforms, and maintaining diligence & alertness; it has nothing to do with one having a good or bad attitude

Back, from too long away... we just moved and I "have a room". It isn't huge, about 11' x 12', with a small closet too. Still, I have good lighting, a ceiling fan and it is on the house AC/heat, and is close to the garage (where I will run the brass vib. critter). One corner has the safe and the rest is a blank slate right now!

Tommy

Lovely & impressive set-up "Swampyankee". Nice Dog!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 01-12-2018 at 06:33.

Now in the process of rethinking my tools with more "modern" ones. My main stumbling block is now case trimming as I am looking at doing 15,000 5.56 for my personal use. My current trimmer is the Lyman with a power extension to turn the case. The Black and Decker cordless driver is an early one and batteries are no longer available so I will be replacing it. I have looked at other trimmers and the only one that seems interesting is the Hornady, sort of a do it all. As I now have neuropathy of my feet due to chemo I cannot stand for long periods of time, as with the Lyman. Anyone using the Hornady and what are the pro/cons of this tool?
    Sam

I have the bench mounted Forster case trimmer and the Lee case trimmers but both are slow. I have a bench mounted drill press, a decent micrometer and some chamfer/cutter bits I am considering using instead. The stop adjustment on the handle can be adjusted to where the "throw" is short. I haven't tried this yet but it is one of my next projects when I get back to re-loading. Just my .02 worth.

You might need a bar stool or something but I don't see why you couldn't sit down while doing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 06-18-2018 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    ........... am looking at doing 15,000 5.56 for my personal use. ...........Sam
    I might suggest a Giraud Power Trimmer. I have one in storage. Unfortunately, as I have just moved and am still unpacking, I won't be using it for some months.
    If you'd like to borrow it, paying only shipping and buying your own trim head, holler my way via email. It might save you a few hundred dollars and 'get you caught up'..... just thinking aloud.

m1sshooter *AT* yahoo *DOT* com

Sincerely,
    Tommy