Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Serial number range for introduction of 03a3 reinforcement bolts vs pins?

Could someone shed some light on the point at which the stock reinforcing bolts were begun and the pins discontinued? Also, at about what point were the "winter" trigger guards and blued upper bands introduced. I am thinking specifically of Remington production only. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Stock recoil bolts were introduced in mid-1943 because field reports indicated the recoil pins were not strong enough. Maybe JB can tell you the specific date or the beginning serial number of the changeover. Some older 03-A3s may have had their pinned stocks replaced with bolted stocks if they became damaged.

Something to keep in mind is the term "introduced". Rifles were not finished in serial number order and often, earlier parts are found on later rifles or vice-versa. I would agree with Merc - late summer, 1943.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

A good example of old and new parts mixed - my 03-A3 has a 5/43 serial number and has a bolted stock which is probably not the factory stock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    A good example of old and new parts mixed - my 03-A3 has a 5/43 serial number and has a bolted stock which is probably not the factory stock.
    5/43 is about the time frame they where swicthing back to bolts from pins. Stock probubly is correct..

Quote Originally Posted by usmartial1950 View Post
    Could someone shed some light on the point at which the stock reinforcing bolts were begun and the pins discontinued? Also, at about what point were the "winter" trigger guards and blued upper bands introduced. I am thinking specifically of Remington production only. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
    If you provide the serial number or approximate serial number of your rifle, I should be able to tell you which parts it should have.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by rebound View Post
    5/43 is about the time frame they where swicthing back to bolts from pins. Stock probubly is correct..
    Thanks for the info. Thought the switch occurred later in 43.

JB,

Barrel is dated 4/43. Serial Number is 3726871 (5/43). Pins or bolts?

I would agree - I always heard late summer (7-8/43).
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

JB,

Barrel is dated 4/43. Serial Number is 3726871 (5/43). Pins or bolts?
    Pins.

J.B.