Default Tumblers, Polishers, & Media

I started a new thread on this, because the thread I was reading was getting too long, too many useless or unrelated comments, so I didn't think this would get read there so its here...

I have both a Thumler's model B and a Vibratory. Actually my 3rd vibratory. the Thumler I bought in 1976 and its still going strong. Vibratory polishers just do not last.

Secondly, Vibratory polishers are Noisy, and I think use more power. A Thumler is so quiet, you will forget its running! I once left it running for several days... and yes, the brass was mirror finished!

You can use ANY kind of media in a rotary tumbler. Wet or dry. Dry stuff only in a vibratory.

Long before the steel pins were available, I used to use steel BB's, a cup of water, and ONE drop of dish soap. Worked just fine, but doesn't clean the primer pockets.

Now the Media:

I've always preferred the walnut media, I think it lasts longer than corn cob. But I, as many other have complained about, the media gets stuck in the flash holes.

I figured that one out too. Buy smaller media. It comes in sizes, ya know. I've been using the 20/30 mesh size and it DOES NOT get stuck in primer pockets, and DOES clean them.

You can buy just about ANY type of tumbler media here, and at priced definitely better than any LGS, or gun show.

the downside (or up side depending on your point of view) is there is no polishing compound impregnated in the media. (surf the site, there is a photo of every mesh size offered shown on a dime to give you some perspective on the size.

Here's the link....... http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...comparison.htm
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

I am switching to the wet method with pins as I am going back into business and want my brass really clean.
    Sam

leftyo Guest

i switched to wet about a year and a half ago, and dont plan on going back. still have my two vibratory units and they are both over 15yrs old and have tons of use on them, but now only use the one for removing lube from rifle cases.
    Last edited by leftyo; 08-29-2017 at 08:34.

I now use only a wet tumbler made by Frankfort Arsenal. Brass come out looking brand new. It's a little messier than a dry tumbler but the results are far better. I can load 600+ .223 cases at a time, fairly quiet. I also have the brass/media separator and the magnet to pick up the pins and also a dryer for the cases. All Frankfort products.

Thumler and SS media for me.

6. Default

After using SS pins/rotary and ultrasonic, I've gone back to dry media and a vibratory tumbler (little Dillon). Just a lot less hassle for me personally. I run it in the garage so I don't hear it. I retired a year ago and shoot a lot of NRA mid range and long range so I'm loading more .308 than ever, usually daily. Dry is just faster and less mess. Granted, you don't end up with new looking brass but I haven't seen any loss of accuracy. I need to try dry media in my rotary but I'm guessing that while the rotary is quieter, the vibratory will be faster. I'm convinced that reloading, particularly brass prep, is birth control for shooters!