Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    Came off the dirt bike while hunting a few years ago and did this, It finished off that hunt, but later in the season I got another trip in. That one was more of a road hunt, but I had a walking stick which allowed me to move around a bit.

KTK

wow, this looks pretty bad, how long did it take you to get to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...what if we were attacked?..." By who or what?
    Everybody should be trained in First Aid and CPR. Everybody should wear good, solid, boots when in the bush. Not runners or light shoes. And quit jumping down trees.
    "...Wear a hand gun in addition to your rifle..." If you can't sort out a situation with a rifle, having a hand gun isn't going to help.
    Yes, this is what i am talking about, hunters should let some temporary medical aid...sometimes it can take forever to get a proper medical aid.
    Most people i know say - Hunt with a Military Veteran, they are good with stitch and putting back broken bones and stuff, this is true but we cant have them around all the time.

Looks like a Canadian mosquito bite.

Stop or control the bleeding. Clean and disinfect, then bandage a wound. Isolate busted bones and sprained joints.... All basic first aid stuff. THEN, build a fire, make shelter, and stay put till yer buddy or other help gets there when you don't show up at a pre-designated time and place.
    Leave as detailed description as possible about where you're going, how you're getting there, who you're going with, and the very best estimate of when you intend to be back. Leave that, maybe even with a good, marked map, with someone you trust and can depend on. Maybe even the sheriff or fish cop. Then, don't deviate unless you have a way to let those changes be known.
    I try to take a small first aid kit, a means of getting good drinking water, a hundred feet of 550 cord, a rope, game bags, a small tarp, fire starting materials, an axe or hatchet, a small saw....and I try to take enough with me to make at least a couple of decent small meals on the trail.
    At my age, with the damage and ailments I've accumulated over the years, I've had to accept my limitations. I take my meds, including insulin and testing stuff with me, at least two or three days worth. I don't climb trees, rocks, go spelunking, or cross country skiing anymore. Know what you can reasonably do, and don't 'tickle the dragon's tail' out there!
    Be smart, keep your head, stick to your plan. You'll do fine, Pilgrim.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-29-2017 at 06:14.

If worse comes to absolute worse pour some of your beer on the wound to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If worse comes to absolute worse pour some of your beer on the wound to clean it.
    Wouldn't that be alcohol abuse? (actually, a small flask of bourbon might be a better idea "just in case")
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-29-2017 at 06:18.

We had stopped for lunch and to do some target shooting.

I decided to take a ride on the old Yamaha my son had been using to hunt grouse and went over the handle bars

Last edited by Ken The Kanuck; 08-29-2017 at 06:40.

Eye protection?

some spirit or gin but don't apply beer to a wound.

Something like this has happened to me twice, so far.
    47 years ago my squad got shot at while we were in Cambodia in 1970. I had been bending over my pack, stuffing new rations into it when a round landed in front of me filling my face, eyes and eyelids with dirt. I was blinded for about 5 minutes trying to get my eyes clear. In the mean time, other stuff was going on.
    More recently (17 years ago) I (like you) fell out of a tree but I broke my leg; split my meniscus and popped my fibula loose from my tibula. I hobbled/crawled back to camp, into my cot and waited for my partner who was disappointed ,to say the least, that our elk hunt was over.
    I'm not sure what your question is but being blinded from the 1st situation was worse for that few minutes than the months of rehab resulting from the second.