Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunting Injuries

i hurt my ankle jumping down a tree early this year....i tried pulling it back to place but it hurts too bad and i couldn't do it myself, my partner had no experience doing such thing so he was no help at all. the hunt came to an end, but i can't help but thing what if we were attacked? and i am sure this must have happened to people somehow somewhere. please f you have any experience in such circumstances plus share.

Thanks.

You would still have your gun.

Wear a hand gun in addition to your rifle if you think you need an extra measure of protection while hunting.

So many comments I could make.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

but anyone of you ever been injured and how did you deal with it? did the hunt ended there or you went on.

Not sure what the question is. If someone gets hurt in the backcountry, then yes there is a situation to deal with. Has nothing to do really with being armed or not. Just had 2 of my kids in Wyoming mountains, rugged terrain, no cell service. They are taught to move deliberately, to consciously avoid injury, specifically because help is a long way off. Animals go their entire lives in the wild without injuring themselves carelessly. Humans can too if they just remember how.
    Last edited by togor; 08-28-2017 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Wear a hand gun in addition to your rifle if you think you need an extra measure of protection while hunting.
    Have to be careful about where you are at. A lot of states do not allow for that. Carrying a sidearm afield during long gun or archery season could mean a whole lot of very expensive legal trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Not sure what the question is. If someone gets hurt in the backcountry, then yes there is a situation to deal with. Has nothing to do really with being armed or not. Just had 2 of my kids in Wyoming mountains, rugged terrain, no cell service. They are taught to move deliberately, to consciously avoid injury, specifically because help is a long way off. Animals go their entire lives in the wild without injuring themselves carelessly. Humans can too if they just remember how.
    Sometimes things just happen.

A friend was hurt when the limb he was on decided it was time to come off. Two thing went wrong for him.
    A: He wasn't tethered off yet.
    B: He was out alone.

Lucky he wasn't hurt more seriously from the fall. He made it out.
    Lucky he wasn't left dangling in the tree like a carcass all alone.

Fortunately for me I've only fallen from bad footing in snow. Didn't break anything but my pride.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I'm sure the rules vary from state to state, and you should definitely check with local game or law enforcement officers, but if you're hunting (or biking on remote trails like me) in bear territory, there's always a risk of an encounter with an angry bear just trying to protect its territory or young. Here's a good case in point:

http://Www.Bulletsfirst.net/2014/09/...arm-go-hunting

I have a concealed carry permit which should allow me to be armed for self protection while biking, hiking, etc. anywhere in PA. However, I would always check to see if it's legal to carry a concealed gun for personal protection in other states. I would not consider doing it in NY, NJ, CA, IL and several other states that have gun laws that restricts such activity.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-28-2017 at 12:05.

"...what if we were attacked?..." By who or what?
    Everybody should be trained in First Aid and CPR. Everybody should wear good, solid, boots when in the bush. Not runners or light shoes. And quit jumping down trees.
    "...Wear a hand gun in addition to your rifle..." If you can't sort out a situation with a rifle, having a hand gun isn't going to help.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Came off the dirt bike while hunting a few years ago and did this, It finished off that hunt, but later in the season I got another trip in. That one was more of a road hunt, but I had a walking stick which allowed me to move around a bit.

KTK