Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Thanks for the link gwp. I didn't know they could rebuild batteries. The El Toro (I refuse to call it Lake Forest after the yuppies voted to rename the city) is only 15 miles up the I-5 from San Calamity.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Rechargable batteries need "training" to work right. There's a system to discharging and charging.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Rechargable batteries need "training" to work right. There's a system to discharging and charging.
    I used to adhere to a "training regimen" but rechargeables have changed over the years. The Ni-Cads didn't have the run-down memory to contend with and no one speaks of anything odd regarding the current crop of lithiums. If you know something I don't...please, tell me!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

To the best of my knowledge the Ni-Cads were the only batteries that developed a memory and needed to be run down completely before re-charging but in my findings this didn't help anything. Nickel Hydride batteries supposedly didn't have the memory problem but never became very popular. I have recharged acid flashlight batteries and even changed out the electrolyte in auto batteries to try to prolong their life. Lithium batteries of course are the latest and greatest and hold up the longest taking more recharges and lasting longer between charges while being much smaller and lighter. All this being said when you have to start going to abnormal measures to revive one only for it to hold a weak charge for a short period it is time to replace it. When it's gone it's gone. My 2 cents.

I'm probably a little out of touch with battery technology. I used Ni-Cads for small toys and my early point-and-shoot camera. I had a "batter factory". I had bins for Charged, Discharged, and needs to be discharged.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

In this morning's paper there is a Harbor Freight flyer listing the Hercules 20V 1/2" compact drill/driver on sale for $99.99. Using the regular 20% discount coupon in the flyer it can be had for $79.99.

There is also a SPECIAL 25% OFF coupon that can be used only on Labor Day, Monday Sep 4th meaning the drill can be purchased for a low $74.99. At that price I am thinking of buying one just for the helluva it.

I still have and regularly use my DeWalt 14V and 18V cordless drills and have had to buy replacement batteries off of Ebay or Amazon in the past to keep them running. The DeWalt 18V is my "go to" drill yet, I don't think one can go wrong buying the Hercules at the reduced price. I certainly think it is worth the gamble.

One thing about these cordless drills that always use to piss me off is that whenever I needed one, the darn battery always seemed to be run down and I would have to stop and re-charge it before doing any work. PIA!
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I have learned that if the battery remains in the tool when not used, it will be drained down quickly. Now whenever I am done with the tool, I always remove the battery. Next time I need the tool, I slap in the battery and go to work. No need to wait for a recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    In this morning's paper there is a Harbor Freight flyer listing the Hercules 20V 1/2" compact drill/driver on sale for $99.99. Using the regular 20% discount coupon in the flyer it can be had for $79.99.
    I saw that flyer too but JB mentions the one he is interested in @$160 has 3 batteries instead of the one. Don't know if HF sell single 20v batts or not or what the price is.

Oyaji, from my own experience HF only honors one coupon per item. Otherwise if folks collected enough coupons they'd get things free. Speaking of free, those LED trouble lights they always give away are pretty good for a freebie. Have a pair.

Drill dilemma solved itself. I probably should've posted this sooner but I have been busy, Just stopped by to check the forum in between parties.
    For my birthday I received the HF Herc drill and an extra battery. Sure seems solid enough, fast enough, and powerful enough for my liking. This morning I went over to HF and spent $19 on a 2 year unlimited replacement policy, and another $24 on a third battery using a 20% OFF coupon. So long as I get my $43 worth out of this drill I'm good as gold.

Since we've had such a discussion on it, I'll keep checking in with an update every so often. I plan on using this as my go-to just to run it through its paces. Wood, metal, masonry, wire wheel...whatever I can throw at it I expect it to do.
    My Porter Cable drill finally let me know death was imminent the other day. Had to whack the 12v batt to get it to accept the charge (has a fast run down life now in the 14v drill motor) and the 14.4V is giving problem readings in both of the P-C chargers.

BTW, the Herc case will easily fit a pair of spare batteries, so that's three with the one on the gun. However, the third battery nicely fits into the area for accessories. So if you keep bits and tips in your drill case, you might want to just run with a pair.
    Last edited by JB White; 09-03-2017 at 04:46.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I bought a harbor freight battery powered drill and everytime I went to use it the da*ned battery was DEAD.
    I broke down and bought a SEARS drill with lithium battery and it works like a charm.!
    the old saying applies "Pay Once, Cry Once"

They still sell bottom end crap tools. They make a fortune from them.
    HF is now selling a high end line of pneumatic tools too. Taking on SnapOn...who has also farmed things out to China under their brand name.