Default Makarov Pistol info

this belongs to a friend, we are both trying to find some information about the Mak, we have no idea what year it was made, about the marking etec. please i will appreciate whatever info anyone can provide about the Makarov.
    Attached Images Attached Images

East Germany
    The Ernst Thaelman factory in Suhl, Thueringen made what are considered by some to be the finest pre-fall-of-the-Berlin Wall Makarovs. The finish is nice, the fit and machining is of quality you'd expect from a German shop, and they shoot like a dream. Almost all that came into this country had already seen service, so their quality varies by how they were treated by the person who carried them. Nonetheless, most have more holster wear than bore wear. They occasionally still pop up at dealers and at gun shows. If you can get them for a good price, these are the ones to buy.

Markings on them include a letter 'y' with a circle of dots, which some Russian folks think stands for for uchebneii or "training". This would be strange for a German pistol, but we haven't heard any other explanations.

Wow, you seem to know a whole lot about Maks,thanks a lot for the info and the link.

And the year it was made is 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    And the year it was made is 1962.
    Oh year, i have been wondering about that,

I have one exactly like that one, BS5393, also 62, with the Y. By the way East German and I think Russian made are on the CR list. I got mine thru mail order some years back. Some compare the cartridge with the 380, but obviously they have never fired a Makarov!
    You can never go home again.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

Mine is a 1961 with the proper AR prefix to the serial number. It has, however, a lower case "a" in place of the "y" with only four punch marks, all to the left of the letter. P5010222.jpg
    Last edited by Tom in N.J.; 05-01-2019 at 12:18.

8. Default

Just a wild guess, but those punch marks may be indicating the number of times the pistol has gone through some sort of arsenal inspection, or they may be an indication of bore wear.
    But like I said, just a guess...

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

Anybody know what the letters "y" and or "a" stand for???? Are there others?