Default Anyone Else Make 8mm Brass from .30-06?

Been doing it for awhile, no problems. But forum is slow so I throw it out as a topic if anyone wants to compare procedures.

Easy enough. Expand, size, trim. No issues - unless some poor fool eyeballs headstamp and tries to fire in .30/06 rifle.
    Last edited by Parashooter; 08-21-2017 at 04:27.

I do a rough cut of 3/16" or so first to make trimming go faster later, then anneal, resize, trim. The annealing step makes it easier on the die, IMO. I notice when shooting the Kraut flake powder that the thicker LC case web does require the 10% load reduction to keep pressures in check.

I use 270 brass I have allot of that and do not shoot it as much as 30-06.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Easy enough. Expand, size, trim. No issues - unless some poor fool eyeballs headstamp and tries to fire in .30/06 rifle.
    I have formed thousands of 30/06 cases to 8mm57, 7mm57 and 257 Roberts and then there is the 7.65mm53 B.M/Arg.. I have always used a forming die on all of the cases I have formed. The forming die is designed to be used with the man tool, the hack saw, when it comes to trimming and accuracy there is no more accurate way to trim the case. After the hack saw the reloader can finish with a file. When trimming 100 8mm57 cases after forming from 30/06 the reloader has to trim 25"++ inches of brass.

Without the forming die the shoulders of the develop folds, dents and creases, reloaders assume the dents, creases and folds will 'pop' out when fired. For years and years I have suggested ever reloader purchase one forming die, that would be the 308 W forming die, a reloader with minimum shop skills can learn to use the 308 W forming die to form 8mm57 cases. My favorite forming dies: first is the 308 W forming die and then second is the 243W forming die.

I do believe the reloader should use once fired and or new cases when forming.

F. Guffey

unless some poor fool eyeballs headstamp and tries to fire in
    And that is the reason I have suggested the reloader use military surplus cases.