Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You have to wonder if everyone is too busy with their heads down looking at their wonder toys and not taking the time to look out the porthole.

Several years ago a pilot and co-pilot "flew" their aircraft 100 miles beyond their destination. Seems they were busy with their laptops.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    You have to wonder if everyone is too busy with their heads down looking at their wonder toys and not taking the time to look out the porthole.

Several years ago a pilot and co-pilot "flew" their aircraft 100 miles beyond their destination. Seems they were busy with their laptops.
    That's what I'm thinking. That and having females on board to further distract watchstanders. Maybe it's time to equip our Navy ships with automated braking systems and lane drifting sensors like some of the newer automobiles have.

First prayers are need for the crew and their families. Now I'm putting on my aluminum foil hat. One accident is bad but two really has to make you wonder. Is there some kinda of black ops war being played by the CHICOMS or is another of our ships being manned with unqualified people.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

leftyo Guest

it would seem that it is a case of unqualified people, or more likely that combined with lax standards of todays navy.

5. Default

There has been conjecture about Chinese cyber warfare being involved.

Now let me sound off. I was in the Naval Reserve for 9&1/2 years. Had to fight to get 2 weeks active duty. Stood one bridge watch as JOD. Around 0200 Ops came out of CIC and told us of a maneuvering board exercise; "we're going to bisect twin targets on the same track, same speed with a separation of X". OD was the Supply Officer, working on his qualifications. I was indiscreet enough to point out it was a tug towing a barge. Guy went ballistic so Ops, 1st Lt., Sr. Chief, OD and myself went out on the bridge wing for a monologue. After a while the tug captain got on the sideband and said "I know you're the USN 'cause nobody else would try something so stupid. CHANGE COURSE NOW!" and then started blowing his whistle. By this time the Chief had bailed. Soon the XO announced himself, took the con and executed a course change, then back on the original track and went to bed.

Next morning I was in the Ward Room wondering "Which thumb today" when an enlisted guy knocked on the door and told me I was invited to the Principal's Office. Capt. pointed to the bare spot on the carpet and inquired as to WTF went on last night. I explained what I did with the information I had and etc. Dismissed.

My evaluation stated "Lt. Clueless proved himself to be a valuable member of the Bridge Team".

I don't think the Navy has professional mariners anymore. Going to sea is ticket punching but not career enhancing. Last time I was on the East Coast went to dinner with some folks one of whom was a retired Navy investigator, not sure exactly which part of the security apparatus he was in. He told me the Naval Academy graduates more Political Science majors than anything else. He also said for a while all the Academy graduates were getting Reserve commissions rather than Regular so at the end of their obligation they could be let go. My own personal take is the Navy should be emphasizing building tough little ships of limited capability as opposed to bigger complex ships so as to get the maximum number of lower grade CO and NCO command experience. There is no substitute for that.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 08-21-2017 at 10:54.

6. Default

Oddly it doesnt seem to matter if "they knew it was there". If you look back at some of the worst maritime collisions they occured when they knew where everybody was.

Too much reliance on computers I think. Makes you think about those WW2 convoys that could zig under blackout conditions. Navy, CG and Merchant Mariners.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Too much reliance on computers I think. Makes you think about those WW2 convoys that could zig under blackout conditions. Navy, CG and Merchant Mariners.
    Good point. And the vast majority of those cranky old merchants had no radar. On the other hand...my dad told stories of running up on the beach while on a troop transport "you should have seen the faces of the people in the cars" and almost hitting some huge ship at night going into thre Med. So stuff did happen.

Yes it really does look like a direct hit from a bulbous bow. The only surprise is that the bow of the merchantman did not cut into the side of the destroyer. From the marks on the paint it looks as if the bow touched but did not penetrate.

10. Default

Apparently these are tough ships. Reading about some collisions involving Navy destroyers the destroyer often got cut in half. Good damage control by the crews too.