Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got an e-mail

Default got an e-mail

from an acquaintance which said a law was passed in 1985 that all confederate military people are considered " veterans of the US". Have not researched this yet but wouldn't that make taking down statues illegal? or something?
    You can never go home again.

Interesting. I do not know the answer - but - given the wildly absurd posturing of the times, I wouldn't look for much help from that quarter. The liberal a-holes and MSM have lost all sense of reason.

Whole thing is a 'My way or the highway.' thing from both sides.
    "...make taking down statues illegal..." Highly unlikely to be illegal. Other than outright vandalism. Isn't illegal to take down or move war memorials that I've ever heard about anywhere. Any law about Confederate anything would likely be local or State.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    from an acquaintance which said a law was passed in 1985 that all confederate military people are considered " veterans of the US". Have not researched this yet but wouldn't that make taking down statues illegal? or something?
    It's sort of true. You are probably thinking about a 1958 law that provided some benefits to the handful of surviving Confederate widows. This was part of a larger bill relating to veterans of several wars. The bill's language is somewhat ambiguous does not specifically recognize Confederate veterans as U.S. veterans, nor does it pardon them. Frankly I can't imagine a law that would formally grant men who fought against the Army of the United States the same status as men who fought in the Army of the United States, but....on the other hand....Confederate veterans were sometimes buried in U.S. Military Cemetaries.

Individual southern states passed laws granting pensions to veterans of the "Civil War." I have the paperwork of a great uncle who got one. That in itself to me shows that these people were not considered U.S. veterans at the time; again, on the other hand, Federal legislation did grant some Confederate veterans pensions in the 1930s.

So, again, it's ambiguous at best.

http://www.civildiscourse-historyblo...tates-veterans
    Last edited by Art; 08-16-2017 at 09:58.

Yes, I was just on Google, law had to do with pensions for some widows and children, nothing more that I can see. As for a law I was thinking about vandalism but maybe more serious? Like if it was done at the WH or Arlington, but maybe that also would be simple vandalism.
    You can never go home again.

Personally, I think this whole issue has been created as a diversion... There are statues of god knows who in every city in America. 99.9% of the people that pass by them every day COULD CARE LESS! They are nothing more than obscure landmarks in very many instances.
    None of this became an issue till "somebody" decided they were "bad" and had to go... Stir the pot... create discord... create diversion... achieve division... Right out of the Commie playbook..
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

7. Default

I and a lot of others passed by those Confederate statues in Baltimore daily and never gave them a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PaFrank View Post
    Personally, I think this whole issue has been created as a diversion... There are statues of god knows who in every city in America. 99.9% of the people that pass by them every day COULD CARE LESS! They are nothing more than obscure landmarks in very many instances.
    None of this became an issue till "somebody" decided they were "bad" and had to go... Stir the pot... create discord... create diversion... achieve division... Right out of the Commie playbook..
    Amen++ Well said!

On Memorial Day I fly the American flag and along side that the Confederate Battle flag to honor all those who served in our wars. But, the last few years my neighborhood has seen an influx of black home owners. So, as to not anger them I do not fly the Confederate flag anymore. I don't need bullet holes in my house, ya know!

During the obama years you could expect violence if you flew the American flag too. Here in the deep South seeing a Confederate flag has gotten somewhat rare as well. The liberals and settlers pouring in from other countries are re-writing history to their liking. What some property owners do that have land that borders the Interstate is they fly huge Confederate flags on their private property near the fence line. Travelers driving on the highway can't help but see them, there's no exit for them to pull off and make a fuss and the flags are no where near homes so no one know what houses to shoot or burn down.