Default Winchester Model 37 - .410

I am doing several small stock/forearm repairs on this Winchester. For what it is, the wood is very nice, considering the price point. I need some guidance on the factory finish from WW on shotguns of this era. What should I use to remove the old finish? What type of finish will look like the factory finish? Any ideas will be appreciated. Regards, Clark

2. Default

Your 37 is pre 1963 I'm guessing. I've used something called Winchester Stock Oil from these guys "homesteadparts.com" ... its about $20.
    But its linseed oil based.... and that means time. You won't be finished with the project in a couple of days ...but you'll likely be happy. Many say Winchester used varnish but if they did it was a layer pretty thin.

On numerous stocks from the 50s and earlier I've been happy with linseed oil and mineral spirits mixed 50/50 .... 10 to 15 coats. Once or twice I've mixed some molten Kiwi Brand brown shoe polish mix in with it to get the most perfect Red Winchester 52 color.... {please experiment first}

Removing the original ?... others here will guide you on that

all the best

The Model 37 being a bare bones shotgun did not have as good a finish applied to the wood as the more expensive models. The wood normally shows the final sanding marks in places, and the finish is not a built up finish. For this type of finish, and as on military rifle stocks I have found that boiled linseed oil and turpentine (the real stuff) makes a good finish. It doesn't build up fast and allows you several attempts at getting the finish you want. It dries fast enough that you aren't waiting days to apply another coat.

I like lacquer thinner for removing old finish. It isn't harsh and normally will leave any color still in the wood without bleaching it out like paint removers.