Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    You're correct - they continued to use it, however the failures of this military tactic didn't go un-noticed. Lee lost much of his army at Gettysburg by charging a fortified position and the same is true with Burnside at Fredericksburg. The weapons were beginning to change and become more effective during the CW (i.e. rifled barrels, the repeating rifle and others). The tactics of war were forced to eventually change as well. Grant's siege of Petersburg is one example. You're also correct - the pity of it is that so many men died before the generals on both sides realized that their human resources were limited and asking his men to commit mass suicide in such a charge was proven futile time and again and a waste of human lives.
    And yet they were still using frontal assaults during the Iran/iraq war.

Modern tactics that includes drone warfare means that wars can now be fought from an office. All that time kids spent playing computer war games wasn't wasted after all.

A drone with afixed bayonet...now that's something to think about
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Modern tactics that includes drone warfare means that wars can now be fought from an office. All that time kids spent playing computer war games wasn't wasted after all.
    and yet it will always come down to the guys on the ground to finish the job. I read once where it was thought before the first world war that advancing artillery barrages would put an end to the use of infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    and yet it will always come down to the guys on the ground to finish the job. I read once where it was thought before the first world war that advancing artillery barrages would put an end to the use of infantry.
    It almost did just that…..until the British increased recruitment and we came over to join the fodder, uh, I mean fight.
    Last edited by 70ish; 09-30-2017 at 09:13.