Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default port or starboard?

I know this has been covered. I apologize.

I've even asked this and received the answer, I just can't find it.

I put the front sight blade in the sight post and slide the pin in from the:

A. Port
    B.Starboard.

Everything in me is saying starboard.

Thanks,

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

On anything dealing with sights unless instructed otherwise, I have always used out from left and in from right. Some of the dovetailed sights are tapered in that manner.

Blog Entries

With the barrel pointing toward you....do you push the sight out to your left, and replace the sight from the left of the barrel pushing into the dovetail left to right?

The Krag is a right hand bolt action, so you drive the sight out to the right. No need to confuse it with which way the barrel is pointing.

Pins are tapered, fat end is on the bolt (or lockplate) side regardless of which way the barrel is pointing. If dealing with a dovetail, the wide end is on the bolt/lockplate side. Hammer accordingly.

thank you all
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Are the taper pins and dovetails reversed on a left handed rifle?
    How about a double rifle with a lockplate on each side??

Inquiring minds need to know....

Quote Originally Posted by deadin View Post
    Are the taper pins and dovetails reversed on a left handed rifle?
    How about a double rifle with a lockplate on each side??
    Not sure I understand the question? There is no such thing as a left handed rifle in military rifles!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

When "lockplate" was referred to, I assumed we had drifted out of discussing strictly military rifles......

Quote Originally Posted by deadin View Post
    When "lockplate" was referred to, I assumed we had drifted out of discussing strictly military rifles......
    Oh really? How then would you classify a couple of million US Springfields (as just one example) from 1795 to 1895?