Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It’s a real A4 with a Lyman Alaskan shooting Sierra seconds 168 SMKs pushed by 46 grns of H4895. I went out with the rifle a little over twenty years ago and bench shooting is the only way I can keep my hand in the game. Excluding the sighters, this group was about 1/2” high and 1 “ wide.

2. Default

Got my 70 back from rebarrel. functioning 100 percent now.

Sighted it in today....

Next up....

3. Default

Guessing my builder shoots a range with a strong right to left wind....

This is no good.

Blog Entries

ouch,

5. Default

That is a major glitch, and a pain to correct. I guess he doesn't own a Billy Best jig.

I noted your references to a tight chamber. Now I am no expert in this game by any means, but I have always wondered about tight chambers. I have a 257 Roberts with a "tight chamber" built by a well known gunsmith in 1968. Plus P loads are not the ticket in this rifle, and the bolt has to be very forcefully handled to open after firing one. It locks up tighter than a witch's twat. This rifle, which is a hunting rifle with over 10,000 rounds through it, still shoots MOA. While examining A. O. Niedner's shop notes, I found where he had "opened up" the chambers of two of the finest shooter's rifles on the 1916 Marine rifle team. One cannot argue with their results in competition. So which is better, an "open" chamber or a "tight" chamber?
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 04-03-2021 at 12:06.

6. Default

Attachment 49092

For the doubters. Back in 1913, Niedner made sulfur casts of '03 chambers and various ammo to determine chamber volumes versus case dimensions. He cut a reamer for what he called the "Niedner chamber". Incidentally, for those that don't know, Fay and Daulty Smith were two of the best paper punchers (and coaches) the Marine rifle team ever fielded. Fay won the President's Cup. Both were team coaches and both went Distinguished. Fay is the guy who had the team switch to Niedner taper bases.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 04-03-2021 at 12:28.

7. Default

Rifle is in route to the builder to get the scope blocks aligned with the bore.

The barrel appears to be excellent so I hope it is salvageable.....if not.....his dime.

The tight chamber issue has been fixed at least regards the factory FGMM ammo I have had the chance to use.

When I get the rifle back Ill try some M72 and my reloads to see how it goes.

The previous chamber was unserviceable.

I think "tight chamber" helps but the rifle must function first and foremost.

8. Default

I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement. I was surprised to see such a misalignment considering the excellent scope mounting jigs that have been available for decades. I have three or four different ones in my shop. I like the Billy Best most of all, but they haven't made them for over twenty years now. They function as a dead center alignment tool that can be used for drilling the holes or checking holes already drilled. Back in the day I would often find misaligned holes, but factory drilling eliminated most of the problems. Custom rifles have misaligned holes way more often than one might think. Niedner had a unique drilling jig he made that was pure genius. I like your rifle. I hope the builder corrects his mistake (easily done, BTW) and you come away with a super accurate rifle. Good luck.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement. I was surprised to see such a misalignment considering the excellent scope mounting jigs that have been available for decades. I have three or four different ones in my shop. I like the Billy Best most of all, but they haven't made them for over twenty years now. They function as a dead center alignment tool that can be used for drilling the holes or checking holes already drilled. Back in the day I would often find misaligned holes, but factory drilling eliminated most of the problems. Custom rifles have misaligned holes way more often than one might think. Niedner had a unique drilling jig he made that was pure genius. I like your rifle. I hope the builder corrects his mistake (easily done, BTW) and you come away with a super accurate rifle. Good luck.
    Thank you for the positive wishes.

His shop has been a victim of CV19 due to regular smiths he uses not working.

Ill cut him slack and chalk it up to "Sh$& Happens"

10. Default

Second try....

realigned blocks.jpg