Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Default

I'm presently building a Winchester Model 70, which I consider to be an 03 designed to be profitable through commercial sales, Uncle Sam wasnt worried about profit.

Ill be using the sporter stock with match bedding. The receiver/bolt will be blueprinted a trued, Barrel will be a #7 Douglas premium 1-10 with match chamber.

Im intending to mount a Unertl 10X, 1.25" Combination/Target (anyone have one they want to sell) but might run a Redfield 3-9X 40mm until I find the right Unertl.

I think it might give a pretty good representation of what an 03 built for accuracy would do.

barrel2.jpg

Im guessing 1 inch consistent. .5 inch on occasion with the shooter being the weakest link.

A solid heavy stock would be needed to make it .5 inch consistent.

The weak link on the 03 will be the stock especially if you want to go with the issue barrel and handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    I'm presently building a Winchester Model 70, which I consider to be an 03 designed to be profitable through commercial sales, Uncle Sam wasnt worried about profit.

Ill be using the sporter stock with match bedding. The receiver/bolt will be blueprinted a trued, Barrel will be a #7 Douglas premium 1-10 with match chamber.

Im intending to mount a Unertl 10X, 1.25" Combination/Target (anyone have one they want to sell) but might run a Redfield 3-9X 40mm until I find the right Unertl.

I think it might give a pretty good representation of what an 03 built for accuracy would do.

barrel2.jpg

Im guessing 1 inch consistent. .5 inch on occasion with the shooter being the weakest link.

A solid heavy stock would be needed to make it .5 inch consistent.

The weak link on the 03 will be the stock especially if you want to go with the issue barrel and handguard.
    YOU have got my attention 100%. Put up a post with your project detailed. There will be lots and lots of folks who will follow it with great interest! JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    YOU have got my attention 100%. Put up a post with your project detailed. There will be lots and lots of folks who will follow it with great interest! JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    Complete story can be viewed here.

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...r-m70.6789905/

No new updates from builder as of late and Im not the type to pester him.

4. Default

Some new pictures, barrel complete, bluing next week......

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

My absolute favorite part of any rifle.......

image4.jpg

Very happy with my builder, his decisions and his communication.

Current decision is whether or not i want to mount a muzzle front sight block and buy some irons to seldom use but have on hand.

Finding my 1.25" Unertl has not been easy but I know it will come. I have a Redfield 70 base and Rings in case I want to mount a Redfield 3-9X.

If I add the irons thats another option and in a world were Murphy rules could come in handy.

Beautiful work. Looking forward to the completion of this project! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

6. Default

This is a bolt I built, fluted Douglas, 03A3 action, my own mount and blocks, Mac stock,
    modified M60 flash suppressor.L&S Ultra M3 10X with Mil dots. 30MM ultra rings.
    It is in 30 Cal., Sports a Timney trigger, Consistently Less than 1 MOA with 40 year old M73 match.

OLD DISC 006.jpg

OLD DISC 004.jpg
    Last edited by PA28R200; 05-03-2018 at 09:06.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PA28R200 View Post
    This is a bolt I built, fluted Douglas, 03A3 action, my own mount and blocks, Mac stock,
    modified M60 flash suppressor.L&S Ultra M3 10X with Mil dots. 30MM ultra rings.
    It is in 30 Cal., Sports a Timney trigger, Consistently Less than 1 MOA with 40 year old M73 match.

OLD DISC 006.jpg

OLD DISC 004.jpg
    That is a fantastic rifle.

With all the money spent on "custom" receivers I dont know why the '03 receiver isnt chosen more often for the basis of a custom build.

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    . . . . . . I dont know why the '03 receiver isnt chosen more often for the basis of a custom build.
    About the only detriment I can think of, for not using an ‘03 receiver/action, is the s-l-o-w “lock time”!

9. Default

Last edited by pmclaine; 06-09-2018 at 03:47.