Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Test a M1903-A4 with modern optics

A wild hare just dove down the back of my pants.

A *rebuilt* demilled 1903a3, that's been converted into a faux 1903-a4. Take it and really make it the best sniiper rifle it can possibly be in the 1940's version, with the repro mount and optics.

Then, with a spare upper mount where the scope is mounted, mill off the lower rings, and mill in some pictinny rails so you can mount some modern sized scope rings, and mount the closest you can get to a modern U.S. Armed Forces sniper system ccope, and then compare 5 rnds at say 500, 750, 1,000, and 1,250 yrd.

Just for s&g's. I wonder how the groups would compare.

R Brown

I think it would need to be restocked to make any real difference. Modern ammo may help also The 03A4 was not particularly accurate. I don't know why you'd need the Picatinny rail. The standard Redfield base should take modern rings. Could be fun though. Test it in original configuration,then retest every time you change a variable.

Have fun,
    Dave

Sounds very interesting.
    My 03A4 repro gets a work out regularly with steel AR-500 prairie dogs at 150yds. I personally am content to use it pretty much to show some of the characters that show up at the range with their fancy 22-250s and 22-243s that the old war horse can hold its own with the right trigger monkey.
    A rail might be kinda fun too. I do quick change between a bunch of optics on some of my M14 type rifles.
    Keep us informed how your project turns out.

Semper Fi
    Art

"...modern sized scope rings..." You mean like the standard 1" Redfield rings that go right on the issue Redfield bridge mount with no fuss whatever?
    When I bought my real, 1944 vintage, '03A4 long ago, an issue 2.5X, 3/4", scope was worth about $200US.(I said it was long ago. The rifle cost me $175Cdn.). Didn't have that kind of money or the inclination to track one down, so I put a 2.5X - 8X- 32 Scopechief on it. And work up a load using Hornady 168 grain Match bullets and IMR4064. If I do my part, the thing will shoot under 1 MOA all day long.
    You should probably bold the "A *rebuilt* demilled" so nobody has a stroke. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I believe he is talking of a rail that will accept current 30mm and 32mm rings. Looks like a fun project to me.
    Good for you on your vintage rifle. No need to poo poo another's vision of enjoyment.
    Some of the reclaimed receivers are doing a great job. I have a couple with new Criterion barrels and if they don't shoot under 1 moa, it's my fault.

Semper Fi
    Art

Years ago I saw a similar project. An '03A3 with an '03 upper band, lower band, and floor plate/trigger guard, weaver rings and bases and a nice modern 'scope. I think it was a fixed six power telescopic sight (the brand escapes me now) by a good maker or some such. It was a very handsome rifle and from what the owner said shot very well.

Blog Entries

Leupold makes 30mm rings that will fit right in a Redfield base, (same design)

so,
    to do a true test,
    03-A3 action, true it up a bit if you feel froggy, and don't drill and tap , there are plenty out there that have been
    find a new in wrap 03 barrel (they are out there)
    decent C stock, (they are out there)
    glass bed the action,
    good glass, (1" or 30mm)

shoot,
    try AP
    Ball
    173gr match
    and some reloads (168's or 175's)

let us know how it does,

I would bet less than MOA,

I recently rebuilt a previously 'sporterized' 03A4 that I picked up in an old Bishop stock. I had the action/bolt trued, installed a new High Standard barrel, used a pull-through 'match' reamer, mounted a 6-24X50 Burris Black Diamond in medium height 30mm Leupold rings, and shoot 168 A Max/Varget in fireformed FA 59 NM brass. In the full-length glass bedded sporter stock, it shoots amazingly well, so I know that the rifle and load I use will "do it". It does "okay'' with some 1959 vintage FA NM loads, but those are 60+ years old now. Still playing with the bedding in the original Scant stock, and a new C type that I put together for it. I believe that I'm going to end up with an 8X or 10X Lyman that I have on hand, just to get the thing down where glass is useable with the GI wood. HXP doesn't do especially well, but some 'ancient' LC 52 ball isn't too bad out to 5-600 yards, but again, age of the ammo is a big factor. If I ever get the thing onto the line in a vintage match, I'll just go with a Lyman Alaskan on the thing, or one of the Weaver K2.5's I have. The 330 is just a bigger pain in the butt than I want to put up with.

Got the rifle out to a "proper" range, the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club's 1-200 yard rifle range. Here's the 'sighting-in' target of my 03A4. As mentioned, it has a High Standard barrel, and for this session, I installed a Lyman 8X All American Perma Center scope with adjustable objective. I noted on the target, out of sight, that the round count for this rifle now sits at 50 shots. The rifle shows promise! Cheyenne is renowned for it's 'light breeze', that day, about 10-15 mph, variable direction. The ammunition was one of the three boxes of FA59 NM that I have left. (I started out several years back with over 1K rounds of the stuff) Thought you might be interested. I've got another 'faux' A4 that I've finally got bedded, ready to be shot, it was chambered with the same pull-through 'match' reamer as the HS barrel, on the same day. I'll scope it up, and see what it will do, when the weather finally gives me a chance here. BTW, I didn't mention, and should, that the 6-24X50 Burris' objective lense is big enough that to mount the scope low enough to be useable, I had to remove the handguard. The Lyman 8X objective will JUST clear the A3 handguard with a "red one" to spare.....IMG_0452.jpg
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 02-15-2018 at 12:07.

Interesting thread. A properly set up 03-A4 replica can be very pleasingly accurate even using period optics. I have a nice rifle ... Rem. 03-A3 rebuilt as a 04 replica. It has the little 2.5x Weaver scope w/ the typical fine crosshairs. At a smidgen over 100 yds., it shoots solid MOA w/ plain Winchester 150 gr. Power Points. With the HXP it will typically do 1.25 MOA for five shot strings. Even when the barrel gets warmish ... POI remains the same. Was sighting it in for deer season. Church member put up a little black stick dot for a aiming point. By then I'd already fired three boxes of ammo. Gun was shooting real good. Fired one round at that little black dot and all of a sudden it as gone. He went down and found it on the ground. Guess the glue was a bit lacking. Nice hole just about perfectly centered. I figured I'd save the rest of that nice Winchester ammo for hunting. Only needed one round when the time came. Nice doe cooperated by jumping a fence just about 150 yds. down a hill. Shot her as she went over the fence. Couldn't have shot her better if she'd have been standing still. Just a really fine rifle. One day ... may put something w/ a bit more horsepower on for a scope. But right now, I'm really liking that little 2.5 Weaver and those Winchester Power Points. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."