Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Default

I agree. You don't have a clue as to what I am saying. Not a clue.

Note:
    I tried to find that photographer in the US Census data with no luck. Maybe a little help with that exact location and date? Please advise.

Back up a minute. Is all this over whether or not the A5 was sent/used overseas during the war?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Back up a minute. Is all this over whether or not the A5 was sent/used overseas during the war?

Mike
    Not even that. Jim is saying this picture wasn't taken in France. I'm saying that picture was TAKEN IN FRANCE. That IS literally the argument. lol

I don't even want to try to argue with him on that rifle, or the fact it was used in France. lol That would be a nightmare to try to argue with him.

4. Default

But Steve, what if FRANCE is an acronym for a location in the United States ?

I understand what your argument is. But, WAS the A5/'03 combo used overseas during WWII?

Mike

I have enjoyed all I can stand. I think I"ll skip the 1903/1904 page for a few days. Maybe the dust will settle and they will find out it is FAKE NEWS by the Signal Corp. and the photos were actually shot at Quantico.
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 10-15-2017 at 04:09.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I understand what your argument is. But, WAS the A5/'03 combo used overseas during WWII?

Mike
    Yes Mike it was. You say WWII, but I imagine you mean WWI?

Either way the 1903 A5 snipers were used in both wars. In WWII I can only verify the Marines used them. But in WWI, the Army actually ordered the exact same A5 rifle off WRA as the Marines had received in 1917. And the real twist is, the Army had more "Marine Mount" A5's built by Winchester than the Marines actually did. And there was even a time in the last month of the war where the Marine A5 sniper was the "official" sniper rifle of the US Army. lol But it was just a placeholder they say for the Model of 1918 sniper. But the war ended within weeks of this and the Model of 1918 never shipped. And history has completely jacked up the real story of the Winchester produced A5 snipers.

I've been tempted to post what really happened with the A5 story, but it would be a fight of epic proportions with you know you. He can't even take me saying this pic was taken in France, when it says it was taken in France. It's just not worth it.

Mike
    I re-read my response and it wasn't as clear as it could be.

Yes both the Army and Marines had A5 scopes, mounted on M1903 rifles by Winchester, in France, while the war was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Yes Mike it was. You say WWII, but I imagine you mean WWI?

Either way the 1903 A5 snipers were used in both wars. In WWII I can only verify the Marines used them. But in WWI, the Army actually ordered the exact same A5 rifle off WRA as the Marines had received in 1917. And the real twist is, the Army had more "Marine Mount" A5's built by Winchester than the Marines actually did. And there was even a time in the last month of the war where the Marine A5 sniper was the "official" sniper rifle of the US Army. lol But it was just a placeholder they say for the Model of 1918 sniper. But the war ended within weeks of this and the Model of 1918 never shipped. And history has completely jacked up the real story of the Winchester produced A5 snipers.

I've been tempted to post what really happened with the A5 story, but it would be a fight of epic proportions with you know you. He can't even take me saying this pic was taken in France, when it says it was taken in France. It's just not worth it.
    Army ordering A5s with "Marine Mounts" that sounds familiar....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeaterpilot View Post
    Army ordering A5s with "Marine Mounts" that sounds familiar....
    And I have to give mad props to Andrew on this. Andrew uncovered almost the complete story of the A5 sniper at the archives. I had pulled all the WRA WWI documents from Cody that detailed a lot of the story. But the ones that literally spell out everything barney style, Andrew found those at the Archives

So mad props to Andrew because his documents completely rewrote the whole story of the A5 sniper.