Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I joined the Army in 1972. My basic training was at Ft. Ord, CA. I attended 96B (Intelligence Analyst) courses at Ft. Huachuca, AZ. As our schooling was winding down, we were visited several times by members of Special Forces attempting to recruit us. Now, I had enlisted for this MOS because I had the thought that if I ended up in Vietnam (not likely at this late date), I would at least work in an air-conditioned environment. It really was no surprise that no one volunteered. Soooo, when our assignments were posted, four of us were assigned to the Repo Depot at USAJFKCMA, Ft. Bragg. I called my father that evening, a recently retired Sergeants Major. He told me that I was going to be in Special Forces whether I liked it or not and that I should report before the other three got there. I did and it was fortunate, I did get the best assignment. I was assigned to the 801st MI Detachment, 5th SFG and detailed to work in G2 Plans, 5th Group. It did cause a minor stir when I showed up, due to the Army wide promotion freeze of 72-73, instead of being an E4, I was still and E2 and my unit had never had one. Nor had they ever had a leg in the unit. I had to do all the same stuff as the SF qualified guys did, PT etc., with the minor exception of jumping out of aircraft. However, I was told by my buddies, my pals, my honorable co-workers that they would throw me out of the plane with them if we ever got sent somewhere. So, when nine months later, a chance to work on a special project came up, this dedicated leg “jumped” at it. It was at the Army Intelligence Agency, Ft. Meade MD. I worked on this classified project for about 9 months when a good friend told me of a new office being created and them needing an E4/5 to fill out the staff. It seems that the Intelligence Agency was creating an Operations Center from scratch. On my lunch break, I found the office with door ajar. Looking in, it was a tiny office, with two desks, a Colonel, LTC and a MSGT. I found out later that they were having a suite of rooms being made for the Operations Center. The Colonel asked what I needed. I told him I was there to interview for the E4/5 position. He invited me in, and then asked where I had served before. I nervously thought to myself that I should start at the beginning and responded, “801st MI, 5th Special Forces”. The Colonel abruptly said “Stop, your hired”. I am sure that was close to the shortest job interview on record. He told me I no longer worked on my project and put me to work on the spot (remember, I am on my lunch hour). As I started work, it suddenly became clear why he hired me with such a short interview. I saw three dress green jackets on the coat stand and all three had the snake eater (Special Forces) patch on the combat side (crap, back in SF land). My Warrant Officers from my old project were very unhappy and tried to throw some crap at me and my new boss. What they didn’t realize was that he was the Deputy Director of Army Intelligence and easily handled their attempts. It turned into a great job, working with great gentlemen. I know they are gone now, but thanks to Colonel Edward Bort, LTC Connie O’shea and Master Sergeant Joseph J. D. Callahan (who taught me all about chicory and coffee). I left active duty after my 3 years were up, joined the Guard, went to college and took ROTC and a commission. I do wish that those three gentlemen could have seen me pinned with my silver oak leaves.

2. Default

This did not happen to me but a very dear friend. While attending AIT at Ft. Ben Harrison, IN. My friend had the habit of getting drunk on the weekends and would go to the top of the fire escape on the old WWII barracks and climb on to the roof and threaten to jump like a paratrooper. Of course, a crowd would form with calls of "fly birdy fly" and "jump paratrooper". The first shirt would show up who had a real bad speech impediment in which he would stammer when he got excited. After trying to get him down he would jump! and land on both feet on very soft dirt. (My friend planned his jump). The course we were attending at AIT made it quite clear if you failed you were on your way to Ft. Benning and the Infantry School. My friend on his second go round from the roof came to me later in the week and said that somehow he had volunteered for the Infantry and paratrooper school but could not remember ever volunteering and signing his name to the request. I suspect the first shirt had enough of his jumping from the roof of the barracks and signed his name to the requests. LOL!!

--fjruple

I was assigned to cooks school at Ft. Bragg, NC. I didn't know how to boil an egg.