Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakfree/CLP

Default Breakfree/CLP

I have been noticing on other gun forums (didn't find negative comments here though) that Breakfree/CLP is being bad mouthed as being bad for guns. It supposedly destroys finishes, causes rust when it evaporates (like WD40) and overall not good for lubrication. Oh yeah, it also softens synthetic stocks and wood stocks.

I am confused, I remember my military days when we started using this stuff we loved it. So much better than GI bore cleaner and LSA.

So what say you, is it not good or is it ok or does it have a limited application?

BEAR

I have been using it for years, no trouble to report.
    Sam

I've been using it for years. The only BreakFree product I have seen that thickened was BreakFree for Collectors. In other words, for safe queens/long-term storage which is pretty much what you would want in that situation.
    Why would someone put metal lubricating oil on wood?? The ones who might put linseed oil in their crankcase? Oil is oil!!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    causes rust when it evaporates (like WD40)
    I never heard or saw that happen. It's not meant to protect against rust, however, as it works only as a solvent & cleaner.

State Troopers here have recently been using a cleaner/lubricant called Frog Lube. One of them gave be a small bottle which I tried on an auto pistol that frequently jams; didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    I never heard or saw that happen. It's not meant to protect against rust, however, as it works only as a solvent & cleaner.

State Troopers here have recently been using a cleaner/lubricant called Frog Lube. One of them gave be a small bottle which I tried on an auto pistol that frequently jams; didn't help.
    CLP = Cleaner, Lubricate, Preservative

I've also used it for years and never had any problem. However, for really dirty, carbon encrusted firearms I will use a solvent such as Hoppe's followed by CLP.
    Last edited by Oyaji; 08-04-2017 at 07:09.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    CLP = Cleaner, Lubricate, Preservative
    Was referring to what he said about WD40 causing rust.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Was referring to what he said about WD40 causing rust.
    Gotcha.....thanks for clearing that up for me; thought you were referring to Break Free CLP.

WD40.....Not a lube of any kind. Never meant to be. It is a water displacer. It removes water from things. Once it's done it's job then you have to protect the steel to prevent rusting. CLP....is a lube of good quality. But with time it will drain off of a surface. There are new lubes that will remain where you put it that are better the CLP. CLP works well if your in the field and need a quick easy lubricant to use.
    Last edited by Tuna; 08-04-2017 at 11:36.

I actually like to use 5W Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for lubricating and preserving many of my firearms. A quart of that goes a looooong way towards firearms upkeep.

10. Default

Kroil oil works great for me ,saturate a double ought steel wool pad with it , wipe it down , done . For areas that have snags use paper towels or cotton rags . Let it set for a while , wipe the excess off . Stinks to hi heaven though .
    Kenneth