Default Parker Hale rear sight

Has anybody bought the Parker Hale sight for the No4 that Sarco sells? I know they have had them for a long time and they have always sparked my interest. I think one has to drill a hole to install the sight. I would like to know if some one has installed one, and if it is worth it.

This one?

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/parker-hal...-aperture.aspx

Its for a .22 rifle and that's why you need to drill out a No4. A lot of rifles have lost their collector value because of those sights.
    Your rifle. Your call.

FWIW, you get the same sight picture with the No4 milled sight. The windage just needs to be done on the front.
    There is good reason those sights haven't sold out after all these years.
    Last edited by JB White; 08-08-2017 at 08:13.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

JB did you install one and was It a problem drilling the hole? I hate drifting front sight every time I change loads, ( tap too much left then too much right ,waste 10 rounds just trying to zero windage), I don't worry about collector value because 1) it's a shooter, an old mixmaster with a mint barrel and 2) I own guns to shoot an enjoy not look at an are afraid to scratch them.

Nope. Never bought one because I don't make irreversible changes on my collectibles. Most Lee Enfields are "mixmasters" in one sense or another. Only American collectors are anal retentive in regard to having "all matching" to the point of making them match themselves. Most other folks are pleased with "period correct" done within the military systems. Besides, it usually means it wasn't dinked with on an American kitchen table by a home grown parts swapper. Too many of those guys simply don't understand the concepts of properly fitted, or even correct for that matter.

Money might be better spent on a front sight pusher for 1/3 the cost of that sight and simply mark the windage adjustments there. FWIW, some guys have modified the cheap SKS front sight pusher as those can be made to work on the No4 rifle. Your rifle may be a bit more valuable than you think. Why pay to ruin that with "improvements"?
    On another board, some obscure paperwork was recently turned up. That PH sight was designed for installing on the C-No7 and Mauser variant .22's.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

5. Default

I know this is an old thread but please don't do it. These sights are a disaster area, completely useless. Much better option is a Parker Hale 8/53 or better still a PH 4. They both come up on eBay occasionally and require no modification to the rifle.

PH No 4 rear sight.jpg

There are inexpensive scope mounts out there that bolt up nicely to a No. 4. Drilling holes isn’t required. I put an Addley mount and a Bushnell scope on my No. 4 just for fun and found that my old battle rifle was also a pretty good target rifle.