Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

I'm such a shameless Capitalist.
    Just in case anyone would be interested in knowing, the rifle has been put up for sale on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680940526

If it doesn't sell, I'll trade it off for something else neat.

There's quite a lot of buzz about the rifle on FB. While I think it's amazing, and the price is great, there several who say it's way overpriced. Of course, these are most likely people who want a bar of gold for the price of a turd! Then... there are a few who agree that the price is great (and I stated so).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I'm quite surprised that uber-liberal FB even allows the posting of anything gun-related, and having said that it is one of the last places whose collective opinion I would trust. While it may not be a "steal", it is NOT "way overpriced" for the condition it is in. In fact, I'm surprised that Fred would have set the price that low - he may just lose it.

Thanks you guys!
    Well, I figure that there'll be somebody bidding the minimum, then maybe one more, then, if there's somebody who is really interested in it, they'll just take the Buy It Now option.
    I figured to price it low enough to move so I'd for certain have the cash for putting towards a pre 1899 Colt SAA.
    I didn't want to him haw around with squeezing every possible penny I could get out of it. Oiy Vay. LOL

If I had the money... I'd just Buy it Now, and leave every one else wondering!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I wish you could buy it. It needs a good home.
    One guy asked me what caliber it was, wondering why it isn't 58 caliber like he thought all the other 1866's are.
    So much misinformation out there.

8. Default

Hi Fred. Late to the party, but would like to know why this rifle doesn't have the script N behind the trigger guard. All of my second Allins have this N.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hi Fred. Late to the party, but would like to know why this rifle doesn't have the script N behind the trigger guard. All of my second Allins have this N.
    Dick Hosmer say's that the script "N" indicated that the weapon had been issued with a new stock, rather than the one it had originally come with.

Originally Posted by Edatbeach No one has pointed out that your M1866 has a single cartouche-- that means it was one of those assembled for sale at the time of the Franco-Prussian War, in 1871. It never saw issue in the U.S. Dealers Hartley & Graham bought and brought back several hundred in the late 1890s, and sold them to Sears Roebuck and other retailers. They had been in storage in Europe for over two decades.

The complete story of the M1866 & M1868 rifles that the SA assembled in 1871 is in the April 2001 issue of The Gun Report.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-17-2017 at 08:02.