Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
  1. Default

Despite the ongoing conflict I need to mention that it had been a very long time since I have learnt so much on a forum and seen so many documents. Steve, thank you for a great educational hour and enjoying these original documents. It made the night very short but I simply couldn't stop reading.

Thanks Promo.

Jim, if you provided a location and I found the serials, yes I would give you a copy. But there is probably a good chance that the location you have, we proably have already hit.

See the WWI era Marine docs are at the DC Archives. And there are not many for the 1917-1919 time period. There are a lot 1919 and up. But the WWI era docs, there isn't that much there that deal with weapons. I have copies of all these docs. It was one of the first locations that actually Tim Plowman hit and hit hard looking for info on them.

In fact it appears a good portion of them were never actually acrchived, are at a different archive location, or something happened to those USMC WWI files.

I had heard they might be in the back and not accessible to the public, as a lot are. So I filed freedom of info act, after freedom of info act on the WWI Marine docs, till the head of the ARchives personally got so pissed at me and wanted me to shut up. So he sent a whole team of researchers to look for all the original WWI docs once and for all. He came back with all the locations his researchers turned up, which we had mostly already hit, but we didn't find the serials.

That is why I spent so much time at Cody. I found early on, where the Marine serials were filed at WRA in WWI. So I can tell you exactly where they were filed at WRA. But it appears they never made the transition to the Cody archives.

If the serials exist, they have to be in some weird location. There are some smaller regional locations I have a hunch on. But I haven't hit all of them.

3. Default

Well, I'll chance it, and I fully realize you may have already hit this location.

The snipers were part of the Intelligence Section (G2 at Battalion level), and were conscripted when needed. The snipers were carried on their respective company roles. The sniper rifles were the property of the Intelligence Section under the command of the Intelligence Officers. If we are going to find those serial numbers, they should reside in the G2 files. If you have already searched G2, I fear they are lost to history.

Note there was a Regimental Intelligence Section, a Battalion Intelligence Section, but not a Company Intelligence Section. I have no doubt there was a Brigade Intelligence Section. Each Section had its own Intelligence Officer who were Lieutenants and Second Lieutenants. There were an element of Headquarters Company, although the exact connection is not apparent. There would later be a push to expand intelligence activities. There should be an intelligence file somewhere in those 41000 ft3 of files. I would expect it to be massive in size.

Good luck to your searcher. There will be approximately 8-serial numbers per rifle company. As an added bonus, there should be a notation as to whom each rifle was issued. I wouldn't object to having those names. I might point out that the 13th Regiment G2 files may be more complete. There should be about 360 serial numbers for the two Brigades.
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 08-12-2017 at 12:33.