Thread: Alox

Blog Entries

Default Alox

I've seen here that some use Alox as a bullet lube.

The only alox I know of is that which electricians apply to electrical connections joining aluminum and copper wire to reduce the electrical resistance, and thus heat generated from the two dissimilar metals. It is a silvergrey paste that I think would think is too thin to use as a bullet lube.

Is this the same alox used as bullet lube or is it something else?

There are a long list of compounds that used to be manufactured by the Alox Corporation. Several of these compounds were and are used as cast bullet lubricants. Alox Corporation has been swallowed by the Lubrizol Corporation.

The NRA has recommended a series of compounds as a cast bullet lubricant. The most recent (1960s) was a mixture of 50% Beeswax and 50% Alox 2138F. Since NRA suggested this, Alox has been swallowed, and Lubrizol stopped making 2138F. Several businesses make a very similar bullet lube using 50% Beeswax and 50% Alox 350, which is very similar to 2138F.

Lee has their Lee Liquid Alox. This is another of the products of the former Alox Corporation. It is thinned by mineral spirits.

There are quite a few commercial bullet lubes out there for cast bullets. All are better then ALOX now. Lyman, Lee, RCBS and others make and market their own lubes. I have even seen people use Crisco shorting to lube bullets. Wonder if they smell like fired chicken or cookies when they are fired?
    Last edited by Tuna; 07-29-2017 at 08:21.

I have used Lyman bullet lube since I started casting in the late fifties. I used their alox blend for years and when orange magic came out I bought a heater and never used anything else. As others have indicated there are many commercial products available with a vast array of prices. I have found Lyman products to work as they have been in casting forever.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, I don't do casting but I do have some .357 lead bullets, and I have some Alox from some electrical work done years ago. The name just keyed off my memory from this forum and I thought I'd ask. Looks like a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse is in order.