Smile Question about Smith Corona 03A3

Hi all, I am new to the site. I purchased a nice Smith Corona with a serial number of 3693151 and the previous owner has cut the stock off to sporterize it. I am not sure but I believe it has a #12 or Scant stock on it now. But with this low a serial number should it have a #10 or 11 stock? Can anyone enlighten me. I purchased a Scant and #10 already but not sure what to install.

Thx,
    Howie

Can you describe or photograph any markings or stamps remaining on the stock? Look on the left side of the stock just behind the trigger; also on the middle of the left side of the butt stock and the underside of the stock just infront of the magazine box assembly.
    Last edited by jgaynor; 07-28-2017 at 04:06.

What is a #10 or 11 stock? It would not have had a scant stock originally.

xlhowie, welcome to the forum and thanks for the questions. I believe you looked on another website and saw the stock you want information referred as a "Type 10" or Type 11" stock. The trouble with referring to it that way is that whomever wants to help you has to go and look up to see what Type 10 or 11 means. It saves time if you can post a couple of pictures or at least a good description.

RtL
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Go here for 03-A3 stock info:

www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html

Go to the manuals at the bottom of the page and click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-29-2017 at 08:51.

6. Default

First there's stock TYPE, then, for a collector piece there's manufacturer. SC stocks have a rounded cut out for the band retaining spring; On Remington stocks, the forward edge of the cut out for the band spring is flat.

If you're putting the rifle back together and want a "correct" stock, the only choice is a straight grip SC stock (getting spendier each day for that option).
    The scant and C (full grip) replacement stocks are much more user-friendly, with higher comb line, less perceived recoil, and better control. I've never been a huge fan of the odd appearance of the scant, but they ARE effective. Original "GI" wood, and War 2 contractor supplied stocks are still around, but seem to be plated with platinum. Of the bunch, if you can find one, the Keystone mfd. piece is about the best that I've used, and can still be found "as new". Just have 'cubic money' in the bank account for one.
    On a budget, the Boyd's, and the Boyd stock as modified and or finished by several outlets is a very good choice if you pay attention to the bedding and fit. I've heard that a couple of the Italian mfd stocks are very nice, but have no experience with them personally.
    The stock available from CMP is, by most reports, a decent stock set, but if you choose this route, you'll have to source an A3 handguard for it, as I see that they don't catalog an A3 stock set these days. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/086

I know of the book that references stocks with the author's 'creative' nomenclature. Use the pages from that book for your kids' coloring book, or line a bird cage with them. You'll get less scrunched up looks and question marks if you stop using those descriptions.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-17-2017 at 06:42.

Your rifle was originally fitted with a pin-reinforced Smith-Corona straight-grip stock.

J.B.