Default Trapdoor questions?

Bought my first trapdoors in a two for one money bid item at the recent RIA auction.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-rifles#detail

After a fair bit of online reading about these guns I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help on.

The first gun is an 1873 ser # 195465 that appears fairly correct on parts, stamps and measurements. The bore, unfortunately, is pitted and corroded beyond use. I am wondering about others satisfaction and results when putting a liner in these guns? I am thinking of the 1-22" 3 groove from TOTW? Any reason I would not want to do this?

The second gun is an 1870 that likewise seems to have the correct parts and stamps, and a really nice 3-groove bore, but its measurements are off. 48" overall, 28 1/2" muzzle to block hinge pin, bands 12" apart. I am guessing it was converted to a cadet configuration somewhere along the line, but it sure looks like alloriginal construction. I am hoping the board might have some better information on this gun? Photos show the number 1561 on the barrel only, and the cartouche.

IMG_2526.jpgIMG_2527.jpg

2. Default

Consider contacting Bob Hoyt or Ed Rayl about relining your original barrel first.

3. Default

Good suggestion to contact Bobby Hoyt about relining the original barrel. He as a lot of experience doing this. Regarding the M1870, the barrel should be 32.6" and the bands should be 18 5/8" apart, according to the info on the Trapdoor Collector website. There is no mention of a Cadet version of the M1870. Unlike the M1868 which had serial numbers on the barrel and the receiver, the M1870 did not have serial numbers. Yours looks to have a serial number on the barrel, but it is higher up on the barrel and a different font than used on the M1868 barrels. Not sure of the origin.

While trapdoors are not part of his core business, I had my trapdoor relined by Romano Rifle http://www.romanorifle.com/ and I'm quite happy with it. Apparently he took into consideration my plan to use jacketed bullets and smokeless powder when he cut the rifling.